Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

BLACKPOWDER HELP!!!!

Old 08-25-2003, 07:38 PM

Default BLACKPOWDER HELP!!!!

Sup guys, I have somewhat of a dilemma. My grandfather has disliked the idea of blackpowder hunting for a while but once I pointed out the advantages to him he seemed to like the idea, so he is looking to buy a rifle, He asked me to help him search for a good gun because he doesnt know much about it. My question is is what are some good guns that arent too expensive ( possibly 300-400' s) if there are none for this range than please point out others. He needs a scope too.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!
-hotgunner
Old 08-25-2003, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BLACKPOWDER HELP!!!!

i just got the Knight wolverine in 50 cal. for $279. they are great shooting guns, easy to clean. a set of scope mounts and a good scope will get you in business.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

nothing better than a knight
Old 08-27-2003, 02:33 PM

how about the TC omega, is it good?
Old 08-27-2003, 06:45 PM

An omega is good, i just bought an encore after 3 years of watching my brother and 2 freinds with theirs, i haven' t used it yet but i am very confident i will be satisfied. i used to use a Tc thunderhawk and was very satisfied with the way it shot , but upgraded when i had a problem with cleaning, it did NOt have a breach plug and i broke off a cleaning jag , my fault, no lube.

imho most any newer gun will do a good job, but i would look for a gun with a breech plug and a 209 primer , after that it is pretty much your personal taste , my taste is stainless and synthetic stocks

another important item is bullets , my buddies and i use the TC PTX sabots in 250gr.... i was the 1st in my crowd to get into inlines , it was several years before the others got on board, and i went thru alot of different combos of bullets and powder before i got to where i was not worried at all that the gun would miss , never know about me but i was sure the gun was good

i also tried Black powder , pyrodex powder, and pyrodex pellets, my Bro settled for pyrodex powder, he likes to be precise. i went for the pyrodex pellets , i can' t see the difference, he uses 140gr . my old thunderhawk used 150 , but the book said 90 max , but i confimed with TC that for MY thunderhawk 150 was ok

in short , if you like the omega go for it , you will be happy once you get dialed in

and as for a scope , try to get one with removable mounts , not all states allow scopes , i have never had a problem with rezeroing after removal , always back to where i was before i took it off
Old 08-28-2003, 05:04 PM

try cabelas.com they have several choices to choose from.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check some of the Shooter suppliers. www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
www.natchezss.com They sell muzzleloaders at reasonable prices. The Knights are hard to beat. CVA and Traditions for the lower priced BP Rifles. T/C are top of the line in Traditional rifles. You can' t beat their lifetime warranty and service. Ruger' s M77/50 are a fine inline.They seem to harder to find going through shooter suppliers.The Rugers are available in S/S or Blued. Walnut or Synthetic stocks. Not sure but I think laminated stocks too?
Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-25-2003, 07:25 PM

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_muzzleloaders.htm

There' s a few to consider for you.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:34 PM

Delco Jim,
I have an old thunderhawk too and I tried Barnes X bullet sabots in it last year. It is a 54 cal and I am shooting 325 grain Xbullet sabots over 100 grains of tripple 7. It is extremely accurate with this load and completely deadly. I am also using a musket cap flame thrower nipple.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:18 PM

in the 300-400 range is where most inlines are so you are in luck, all the above listed are fine choices