Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Bad soil food plots - help needed

Old 04-30-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Bad soil food plots - help needed

On the farm I hunt I have permission to plant some food plots. Here is the problem. All the good areas for soil have been leased by another farmer. The section I asked him to plow for me is a reclaimed strip mine section of the farm that was used for cattle grazing. When he plowed a section for me ( about 12 feet wide) there was nothing but rocks and it broke his disc.
Knowing now that he isn't going to plow it for me, how and what can I plant there for a food plot? There is minimal of top soil and under that scrap coal pieces. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bad soil food plots - help needed

Fertilize it and lime it and plant it, with ample plant food it will grow something. We farm some ground that is white oak clay and we grow crops in it but we fertilize it pretty heavy......
Old 05-01-2005, 07:20 AM

Good luck with that refuse dirt. It usually grows trees and brush, but is just too rocky to farm! You may try to amend it with manures, leaf litter, compost, and sawdust. Otherwise, it may be a lost cause.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Offer to pay the farmer that is going to plant to leave a few rows for you and the wildlife, if it is corn, beans or most anything but cotton you should have a good situation. He may even plant a few rows of corn on the edge, if you offer to pay for seed, fertilizer and his time. It is easier to get information if you can give the location you are hunting, etc.