Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

HELP ON SANDY SOIL? (FOOD PLOT)

Old 05-27-2005, 10:56 AM

Default HELP ON SANDY SOIL? (FOOD PLOT)

I'M NEW TO THIS SITE BUT HAVE TO SAY IT'S AWESOME! JUST WONDERING ABOUT MAYBE SOME GOOD STUFF TO PLANT IN SANDY SOIL? I LIVE IN NORTHERN WIS. AND HAVE A 20 ACRE FIELD,I'M JUST DYING TO DO SOMETHING WITH. RIGHT NOW IT'S JUST GRASSY,BUT I HAVE TOTAL OF 120 ACRES WITH POND ON IT AND SOME AWESOME HUNTIN! JUST NEED TO DO SOMETHING WITH THIS FIELD! I'D LIKE TO MIX IT UP WITH SOME SUMMER AND FALL GOODIES,YA KNOW HELP'EM ALL YR. IF POSSIBLE. SO JUST LOOKIN FOR SOME IDEAS! THANX BEFORE HAND TO ALL THAT RESPOND!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: HELP ON SANDY SOIL? (FOOD PLOT)

I can't advise you about what to plant , but sandy soil will always benefit from having a large amount of organic matter tilled into it to improve both it's tilth as well as it's fertility . If you contact a local tree trimming service I think you'll find them more than willing to dump their trimmings on your land free of charge . If there is a mushroom farming operation in your area most of them produce enormous amounts of compost which they dump after it is no longer useful to them . The charge for a 16 ton truckload is usually around $100 delivered , which for reference will cover an area of 1,000 square feet to a depth of 10 feet . With sandy soil there really is no such thing as too much organic matter , it improves tilth , water holding , drainage , and feeding . Soil that's rich in organic matter is also easier to balance the Ph . If you haven't planted yet then look into these suggestions first . Every truckload of free plant food is one less season you'll have to fertilize .
Old 05-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might consider Chestnuts, Sawtooth Oaks, and peanuts. If you have sandy loam rather than sharp (beach) sand you can grow just about anything.

Dan O.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alfalfa, alfalfa, alfalfa!

It loves sandy soil. I have a few hill tops like that. I use Whitetail Institute's Alfa Rack Plus. This also includes some clover and chichory, but it is mainly alfalfa. Both deer and turkey love it. It needs a good pH of at least 6.5.

Have fun . . . Rob
Old 06-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Try Imperial Whitetail Extreme. I live in N.E. Wisconsin and I planted this about a month ago and am really happy with the results so far. I planted this in sandy soil and added lime along with the recommended fertilizer. This stuff will also grow in poor ph soil.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:34 PM

Alfalfa Is going to be your best bet. buck oats may work