Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots

Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Food Plots

Whats the best food plot company and whats the best thing to use. I'm from Wisconsin and the climates can get harsh. So if u have any info that would help a lot.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Food Plots

I would just go to your co op stores and buy your seeds. For one kind of food that you can go wrong with is chicory. There is a supplier in WI where I get it from. Toll free # 1 800 401 seed or 1 715 879 5877. Ask for Bernie and say John told you.I have great sucess with it. Best of all the crops I have planted. Turnips (samson brand)is another one to plant. They dont get as big as the purple top and deer like them(sweet after first good frost)
Old 01-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Food Plots

ORIGINAL: wis_rifle_hunter
Whats the best food plot company and whats the best thing to use. I'm from Wisconsin and the climates can get harsh. So if u have any info that would help a lot.
Start by sending soil sample to Madison. You can pick up a form, soil sample bag, and instructionsat your local ag extension office, usually at the county seat/courthouse. No one knows what you can plant until you know what condition the soil is in. You won't know how much lime or what fertilizer to apply until you get your soil sample results back. Everything else is just a guess. It cost $7 for the soil test, you do the shipping. That first $7 will save you alot of time and money by helping you do it right the first time.

It would also help to know where in Wisconsin you want to plant.