Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food PLOTS

Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Food PLOTS

ok guys this spring i plan on puttin in nice sized food plot. any sugestions of brands or any advise u can give to make it better
Old 11-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Food PLOTS

Lime and Fertilize... and when you think you have done enough...ya might wanna do some more. I always read that you should do this and I ignored it for the first 2 years. My plots were just plain bad. It makes a huge difference when you do these two steps first.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Buy your seed from your local co-op/seed/feed store...you'll pay a fraction of the price you would for the seed with a picture of a big buck on it. What you plant depends on the size of the plot, what's available in your area to eat (crops, natural browse, forbs, etc), and what you want the plot for...to feed the deer, or to hunt over (can be both, but some planning may still be different)?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Milo and peas works very well in many areas. The peas climb up the milo stalks. The deer hitthe spring planted food plots on our three places almost simultaneously this year. They browsed on the peas and when the milo heads matured they made short workof it: They continued to eat the peas and second growth milo.

USFWC is right. Donot spend your money on certified seed.Buy the stuff from the feed store or Co-op much cheaper.i paid $45 for a bag of treated milo seed last spring: Wrong answer. We planted my friends plots with milo at $9 per bag and it grew just as well as mine.Race horse oats grew better than the Plot Spike oats at three times the price.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Spike

i used to go to the co-op and buy alphalfa by the pound but i did some reasearch and found out why some of the stuff with the big bucks on it is so expensive. deer only eat the "clover" part of the plant and leave the stemy part. alot of these new seeds are genetically alterned to have "more clover and less stem." they may include some big buck steroids, but that is the main feature of them. a good brand is imperial.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys ok i'll be a little more specfic about this. ok i want to hunt over this i want a plot that will grow big deer. i have three strips laided out. i thought about puttin in 1 annual ( such as imperial power plant if any one ahs used it please give me a review ) and 2 perennials. let me know whta you think i'll prbly put up another post w/ some of my ideas