Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Any Ideas for a good Drag to float in seed? >

Any Ideas for a good Drag to float in seed?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Any Ideas for a good Drag to float in seed?

Old 09-12-2002, 01:45 PM

Default Any Ideas for a good Drag to float in seed?

Anyone have any good cheap ideas to use for a drag to float in clover seed? Something to pull behing a 500cc 4x4 four wheeler.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Any Ideas for a good Drag to float in seed?

A piece of chain link fence works pretty good..

Old 09-12-2002, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first year we planted clover we did not have a cultipacker. We we had two very large steel doors (fire doors) from an old school. We dragged them around behind our trucks once prior to planting the clover, and one again after. We tried weighting them, but the cement blocks kept coming off, so we finished with no additional weight. They were 3-1/2' x 8' and weighed about 100-150 lbs each, we had the tied together with chain. They did a great job leveling the field and pressing in the clover seed. The important thing is to get good soil/seed contact, and reduce air pockets in the soil. You know that when clover germinates, its very small, and the roots are hirlike, if they grow into air pockets in the soil, they die back. Too many air pockets, and you do not get a good stand. This is probably the largest reason its importand to seed just before a rain, a good rain helps to compact the soil and set the seed for excellent germination.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Brad the chain link to the bottom of the plywood and affix a rope/chain and drag sideways. May put a 2x4 across the back and put a few 12" cinder blocks on to weight down.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 09-15-2002, 10:07 AM
Spike

i used a piece of chain link fence to drag in my seed, cleeby. i could not find a cultipacker to rent, so i used a piece of 10'x 9' chain link fence weighted down with long pieces of channel iron. i dragged the plot before spreading the seed and after the seed was spread. this worked out real good. probably would be a good idea to fasten a piece of 2x6 on top of both the front and back of the fence to keep it spread apart. this would make the chain link fence more effective. i did not do this and my fence tended to pull in the center and created an uneven drag pattern. it seemed to work out ok anyway, since my clover came up real good. good luck.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:01 PM

I use a 6X6 ft. piece of chain link fence, with 4 pieces
of conduit wired to the top side to keep it straight. I made
a loop from rebar to fasten below my trailer hitch and run a small chain through it and to the ends of the "drag". It works good, stays
level and covers the seed quite well.