Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Any Experience with NO-PLOW !

Old 01-11-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Any Experience with NO-PLOW !

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Whitetail Institute's NO-PLOW product? I have a new 1 acre food plot that I wish to broadcast this seed in late winter/early spring so the seed can work in. The foodplot was just cleared last November - which I seeded with Winter Rye. The rye is still there, but very sparse. I have an ATV and drag, but no plow. My thoughts were to drag the ground a bit to even out some spots and rough things up a bit & then broadcast the seed.

Is this a good practice? Would I be better off spraying Round-up first?

I have plans to re-plant this field in the fall with the help of a Neighbor & tractor. I wanted to get something in for Spring & Summer nutrition - any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 01-17-2005, 02:52 PM

Default RE: Any Experience with NO-PLOW !

If it was me I wouldn't see anything wrong with it as long as you dragged it first. It can't hurt, but might waste some money.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I used some of the no plow and the extreme last year as an experimental plot. The only thing that came up was the no plow. cleared out a small 30x30 ft. area and used a tiller to turn the dirt, then I set my seed. I think the directions call for a 1/4 cover on the seed. I used a rake to cover the seed, I have heard of people going back over the seed with a drag. Not 100% sure you might have to check the website. Key word Whitetail institute. By the way I planted in a area of texas that does not get much rainfall at all, usually less than 20in a year.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:18 AM

Turkey Ridge, No Plow is a good annual planting but it doesn't become attractive until late fall when a good frost cures the plants and makes the sugar content come out into the leafs of the plant. Since you are going to replant the plot this fall maybe an annual clover would suit your needs better. Your deer herd will utilize it for antler development and does nursing their fawns. Just my opinion based on past experience
Old 01-31-2005, 12:21 PM

Jeg,
Did the "No Plow" come in thick? Did the deer hit it pretty hard? I was thinking about trying some on my new lease next year in North Texas. Lastly, would you recommend it? Thanks, Jimmy
Old 02-06-2005, 01:18 PM

I have tried test plots of most everything you can think of and can say only this, "if there is a deer on the bag, someone is making a lot of bucks, if it works or not." You may not have to disk and drag or plow, but if you want it to grow you will have to scratch around with a rake or something one heck of a lot to get it to perform very good. If I were you I'd plant a good red clover or something that grows well in your area. Not a perennial since you are going to do it right in the fall. If you haven't done this stuff before, now is the time to read up on it. Preparation is the key to success. If you are like me you will waste a lot of time and money before you get it right. This past year my corn was the best ever, turnips did real well, rape, rye, and clover are all doing well. If I could only give up going to work every day it would be perfect.