Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

plow

Old 01-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default plow

here is my plow. what is the type of this plow? and will this work?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: plow

Evan - That plow should work fine.

It does need new Points and Shares though, you won't be able to plow much before you change them out.
There is a lot to learn about plows. More than it seems.

The Plow Points should look more like this if they are in good condition.

You should vist your local Farm Supply store - with an information you can find on the plow (model #s, actual moldboard measurements, etc) - they can probably help you find Points & shares.

FH
Old 01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is a moldboard.

Whether it will work for you or not depends on what you are wanting to do. This particular type of plow inverts the soil, and buries any residue you had on the surface. If you aren't trying to manage residue, and erosion isn't a problem, it will work fine. If you are after a clean seedbed, it should work well.

If you are trying to maintain surface residue, or erosion is a potential problem, there are other implements out there that might be better suited for the task.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

Evan,
Depending on your soil, that plow will probably be fine. I would try it as is before you change out the share and shin, unless they are worn in to the frog (the cast part to which they are bolted). But, you need to work on the moldboard, if you want the plow to scour (keep the soil from sticking to it). Sand off as much of the rust as you can without removing too much of the steel. Once you get it to scour, the soil will clean up the rest. Then, when you are finished using it, protect the moldboard until next year with a coat of grease, or a coat of some old paint you have lying around.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

MM11 just drop in ground and go, dirt will clean moldboard off and you won't be wasting your time. They work in any ground, just make sure you set up right on tractor. North Texas was right on. If any question, check out youtube, tractors plowing. Also be careful, I have seen people almost kill themselves, not being safe. And thats farmers that have been doing it all their lives.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

ken3q,
How much actual experience do you have with moldboard plows?

The reason I ask is your "time saving" comment. Is it better to spend 15 minutes cleaning up the moldboard before one begins, or get off the tractor every five minutes for the first half hour to scrape accumulated soil off?

Also, although there are many extremely dangerous jobs on the farm, plowing, unless one falls off of the tractor, is notamong them.

Although I use moldboard plows less and less as the years have worn on, and there are untold numbers of things I don't know much about, moldboard plows/plowing is not one of them.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Keyshunter, have used moldboard all my life too, on farm in PA. never had problem with ground build up on moldboard, just trash build up. Have plowed in shell, sodand clay ground on farm. 1 bottom and 5 bottom semi-mount 18" . I have seen plows fall down because guys didn't support the plow when changing shares ,etc. And tractors flipped when guys plowing, don't know how they did it, they said tractor or something caused the flip and not them. SORRY for the way said that didn't mean to upset anybody. But if MM11 never did it before, just giving some warning so doesn't get hurt. there enuff accidents in farming with people that do have experience.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok thanks i will be careful when im doing it.

here are my tentative plans for my plot.
in the spring im going to cut the field, then spray with roundup, then plow, disk, and broadcast buckwheat seed and then lightly disk it in. then in the fall (august-september) disk the buckwheat into the ground as "green fertilizer" and then plant my other seeds. how does this sound?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

MM11, I wouldn't apply round up if your going to plow, your plot this spring, JMO. We only ever used it in fall and then no-tilled the new crop in spring. Talk to your county extension personal, they will be able to help you, thats what their there for, to help. JMO.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ken3g

MM11, I wouldn't apply round up if your going to plow, your plot this spring, JMO. We only ever used it in fall and then no-tilled the new crop in spring. Talk to your county extension personal, they will be able to help you, thats what their there for, to help. JMO.
why would you say not to plow if i spray roundup?

Quick Reply: plow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.