Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Leasing land?????

Old 01-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Leasing land?????

How do you go about finding land to lease and how do you do it??? How does it work??? I want land to manage very bad, but I was thinking just leasing it might be much more affordable... Any input would be great...

Thanks...
Old 01-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Leasing land?????

Finding land will be your biggest problem, especially land that will stay in one ownership long enough to make a management plan work. The usual paper and sawmill companies, independent timber companies, county foresters, consultent foresters, banks that do trust for individuals, advertisements in the paper, game wardens, etc. You have to get your name out there and work at it. When the property hopefully comes available have a good idea of the money needed and have hunters insurance available. Try to get a multi year lease. It may take years to get what you want. We pay an average of $6.50 per acre, but it is a lot higher in many areas.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

xArmy, look into the potlatch corporation websight for a list of leases that are up for grabs. they are a major player in the logging industry in the midwest and elsewhere that holds 1000's of acres. here in Mn, they do leases often and it's a great way to get into both small and large acreage for lease. I believe it's potlatch corp on the web, then look into their lease listings. Taz
Old 01-08-2005, 10:15 AM

Every state has a farm extension to help with this. There is a lot of property on there lists. Don't try to find it in a hunters forum, because someone else will be looking too. Try to get all rights. Farming and managing. If you don't farm then sub-lease to a farmer. Keep the track you want for plots or tree plantings marked out. Maybe the farmer while there can plant your plots. This is the best way to control the land and be a good steward of it. Check out a book called Hunt Club Mangement Guide by J. Wayne Fears. This book is priceless.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

We have lease hunted the same general area of texas over 20 years most of the leases we run across are posted in feed stores, gas stations, churches, just ask around I am sure somebody can help you. I guess it depends on the size of the lease but, we only pay 2.70 $ an acre. Once you add in feed and supplements year round it comes out to be about 3.60$ an acre.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

$$ an acre per...??? Month, Year???
Old 01-11-2005, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

The leases I know about are for the year and include all hunting. I have known of a couple of leases that the owner retains the turkey hunting rights. It depends on the agreement drawn up in the lease.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: XArmy55

$$ an acre per...??? Month, Year???
The lease I am on is annual, I forget that there are seasonal leases out there also. We have the rights to turkey and any other in season wildlife. Have some Mule deer and hogs also.