Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Leasing land?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leasing land?

I know this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the info I was looking for. What does everyone pay for leasing land??? If I was to find someone willing to lease me some land, what are some of the key things to set as coast and what your allowed to do on that property? I need to find some new land to hunt. Or is there anyone on here close to me that has land I can hunt on??? The property I can hunt on now I think I will end up loosing soon, so I just what to have a backup plan. Any info would be great. I am even able to work out some sort of trade of services. I am an auto mechanic and can trade work like that for access to some hunting ground.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Leasing land?

Cost depends, but normally in NY it seems like land is being leased for an average of $10/acre. Now I do know of some that is leased for less, but not less than $8/acre. Basically the lease is for recreational use only. The key benefit of this probably doesn't need explained to you, but some do prohibit the use of recreational ATV riding due to the liability and no open fires or permanent fixtures. We had one lease that we were allowed to have a camper on the property but it had to removed for a period of 30 days within a 12 month period.

Hard part is if you lease from a timber company, they may be in there during the hunting season, but most will give you a heads up ahead of time.

Leasing is the closest to control of the land second to owning. I have leased land in NY since 1998 and this was the first year I did not have to do so.

Hopefully this helps, but to start the ball rolling, contact some timber companies in your area.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

around here in southwest indiana i have heard of it as low as 7 a acre as high as 3500 for 50 acres a year.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in NE Indiana. I hunt family land, but also lease some land with some friends.

We lease off a guy who's a lawyer, but his family owns a ton of land. He has insurance on us, and helps in any way he can. For 90+ acres of prime land (with almost no hunting pressure)in arguably the best county around, 3 of us pay $600 each. When we have other friends hunt with us, they pay into a "pot"$20-$40 (usually for the weekend). At the end of the year...the 3 of us who payed divide the "pot". So in reality the 3 of us who pay gain back some of our payment.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leasing hunting land is a very common practice in Texas, the place we have right now is $11 a acre. Which is a very good price for the area we hunt and the different species of animals that this area holds, we have year round access to hunt or work on the property, the owner's put no type of restriction's on us as far as the animal's that we take as long as it is legal by the state regulations. . They do not allow atv's, they do not want the vehicle's off the road and there are no guests allowed on the property.I can't say that there is an average cost to lease land here as property ranges from $8-$25 an acre depending on the size of the property and where it is located!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are all these prices per acer per year or per month?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

V8Ranger

I would say its per acre and on an annual basis..

The larger the tract usually you add some buddies to help divide the cost. Most will require a liability policy and a liability release form for all members.

ORIGINAL: V8Ranger

Are all these prices per acer per year or per month?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The price I gave you of $11 an acre is per year,We actually pay twice a year, to break up the cost a little...
Old 11-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was giving price per acre per year. Most are that way. the land owner might let you pay monthly or break it up a into a few payments
Old 11-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

We ran across a couple leases out here in michigan this summer that wanted 30 and up an acre for the year!!

Quick Reply: Leasing land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.