Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Can't Bait or Plant

Old 01-03-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Can't Bait or Plant

Hunting an area where baiting or planting is not legal.

How do I learn what the deer feed on? East Tx.

How do I improve what I find? Its so thick in most of the brush there is no feed. Then you find small openings, not more than 200-300 feet visibility max. With Rubs and scrapes. Can I prune and fertilize to help out the feed? Use granular or spike fertilizers? What time of the year?

Here's a weird question. Find scat with persimmon seeds. Can't find persimmon trees. I know the deer will walk a long way to get to them. Any thoughts? Or is there a seed similar in looks?

Thanks for any input. The pines are so thick and between them and yaupon its hard to find a food source.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:11 AM

Default RE: Can't Bait or Plant

Go to one of the local universities' website, do a search on trees/Persimmon. If you can get pictures, study the bark structure, and other details of the tree. At this time of year it is hard to spot unless you know exactly what you are looking for. They do have a distinct bark pattern, and normally will not be more than 10" dia. more like 6".
Can you use a bushog in the area? If mowed, some areas will come back grassy, which may help. Got Honeysuckle? Give it some 3X13. Oaks could use some fert. spikes around the drip edge. Check with the local wardens, you may be able to put in a salt lick. You just can't hunt anywhere near it. Is it your land? If not the landowner is the one to talk to.

Russ
Old 01-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Planting is illegal?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:29 AM

Its US National Forest and as far as I can tell baiting is totally out and planting would be considered baiting. Manipulation of whats there would be a different subject.

Got ya on the persimmons. I have found that seed in refuse from racoons. So I know its there. But have yet to find trees. Though I know exactly what they look like.

I have yet to make time to talk to biologists/wardens in the area so they will be of lots further help also.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff -

There are a couple legal things you can do on public lands - that really will go a long ways towards "attracting" more deer.

#1 - find a preferred local food source in your area.

You may find that its a shrub like - "Red Osier Dogwood" - A favorite Winter browse in my area. Or it may be "Blackberry", or "maple seedlings" in a cutover, or beech nuts, . Anyhow - you get the idea - ask around - look for a popular food source.

Then - don't just hunt around it. Up the odds by applying some 10-10-10 or 15-15-15 fertilizer an/or Granular Lime to the the areas. It truly is "uncanny" how the deer can seek out the higher quality forages in their areas by taste alone. Your fertilized food sources can become a real honeyhole.

In a Public Land situation - only you need to know which areas have been fertilized and/or Ph corrected. By the way - You can bet others are aware and use this "trick" as well.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:08 AM

farmhunter

10-4 on the fertilizers. I keep hearing lime, but was not so aware of its purpose. I suspect I'll pack some of that into a certain spot this spring too.

Granular lime..... Is that different than just the lime "powder". I'm pretty rural but have feed stores so I suppose I could ask. Just never heard of it.

I'm also wondering that an afternoon in a small promising opening with both fertilizer and spikes would be good. But I suspect I could prune back some bushes and that might not be a bad thing either.

Though the national forest doesn't want cutting down stuff, I suspect pruning back judiciously would be acceptable. As if anyone will find my particular opening anyway(though I may be surprised come opening day.....)

THanks for the input. At least gives a reason to go in the spring too!!

BTW what time of year would be best for pruning/fertilizing/ liming??

Jeff