Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What and If to plant

Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default What and If to plant

Hi All,

I hunt a small place on the edge of town. The farmers in the area are quick to plow the fields after the crops are out.

After the crops are gone the only thing really left is hedge apples, bean pods and walnuts. Don't really see any of these as being a good food source or attractant for the deer (what small group is there). Late season hunting I hardly see any deer. I'm sure they left to go find that food source that they need. I know they may feed on some ofthe bean pods when they first fall. But haven't really noticed to much of that in my area.

MY QUESTION: Is there any type of plant, bushes, turnips, ect that a person could plant that would be a good food source for deer and keep them hanging around in late season?Maybe even something that would be good about the time the crops were out ( Illinois ). Maybe it could be justmy huge garden," I know how my kids justlovetheir veggies"

Not sure if this would be considered baiting? I know people put out salt block and feed blocks in the springthat have to be removed beforehunting season. I locate my regulation book a check.

Just curious if anyone else hunts a place with little or no food soure. "WHAT and IF" anything can be done to help.

Thanks guys!!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What and If to plant

Not sure if this would be considered baiting? I know people put out salt block and feed blocks in the springthat have to be removed beforehunting season. I locate my regulation book a check.
I am not sure about what plants and such are good, but I do know that a food plot is not considered baiting. I believe it basically reads that anything that is planted is good.

However, it don't matter what time of the year it is, salt blocks and feed blocks are illegal at all times. They made such activities illegal a few years ago to try and curb the spread of CWD.

Check out the regs for the real blurbage.

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/Digest/index.htm

Old 01-31-2006, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN
I am not sure about what plants and such are good, but I do know that a food plot is not considered baiting.
Check out the regs for the real blurbage.
http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/Digest/index.htm
Just for clarity's sake folks, crutch did mention that he is in Illinois. For those of us in states where food plots ARE considered baiting, make sure to read the whole original post unlike me.[8D]
Old 01-31-2006, 04:44 PM

Try planting brassicas; the deer really won't touch them until after a few frosts hit them. They will feed your deer for a long while into the winter.