Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you plant?? >

What would you plant??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you plant??

Old 02-16-2004, 08:45 AM

Default What would you plant??

If you just happen to come across 450 acres and you were going to plant food plots, what would you plant, to #1 benefit the deer, #2 hold deer on your property? We currently have winter wheat and corn planted, but I'm open to suggestions from some of you guys that have experience with food plots.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would plant??

lab lab , when it gets warmer , ashkinominy [bad spelling] allso works well
Old 02-16-2004, 09:04 AM

I've heard good things about lab lab, I will definitely be planting that this year
Old 02-16-2004, 09:34 AM

I think a lot of what you do pretains to your goals, long range or short range and what you plan on investing.
How much plantable land currently exist, how much can you afford to make tillable and what is currently there as food and nutricents?
There are plenty of green product avialbe for creating food plots that depend on the areas climate but you have to deal with your food plots just as you would with yout stock market investments. You want to diversify you you do not lose all to a single decease or drought. You also may want to invest in mast crops. Either fertilzing existing trees in specifc spots only or planting new one to include mast producting scrubs such as hazel nuts.
Say for example you have Oaks on your land. If you select certian ones now, fertilize them properly you should see an increase in their mast crop this fall. By selecting the one you that suit the location you feel best works for your stands, you create a feeding area for the cost of fertilizer only.
In my area if you take the time to talk to the people at the feed mill or coop and proved the information on your soil type ( send a sample to your state ag lab) they will help you select the best seed for your land.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:44 AM

Default RE: What would you plant??

White clover and a mixture of other clovers. If you can get the clover established it will draw deer and turkey better than most any other plantings.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:07 PM

I would plant alternating rows of food. 1st for cover and to keep deer on your property, ide plant corn. The corn will give them some cover that they could bed in, or atleast travel in w/ out being seen. This way they can travel to the other food sources easier. 2nd I would plant a Clover/Alfalfa mix for good well liked food source. And 3rd, ide plant a standard Mossy Oak BioLogic protien mix, for growth and production.

Hope this may help.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

White clover would be my first choice. I'd also designate some corn to let stand all year long if you can.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with ben and WV. Clover (use improved white or ladino) is a great food source - good nutrition (protein), persists, fairly easy to establish, and is relatively inexpensive. I seeded down logging roads with a mix of clover and grass - I wouldn't use the grass (or not as much). The deer don't seen to eat the grass much and it begins to shade out the clover, if not mowed. Soil test no matter what you plant.

ps - what the heck is ashkinominy???