Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Imperial Whitetail Extreme food plot >

Imperial Whitetail Extreme food plot

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Imperial Whitetail Extreme food plot

Old 11-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Imperial Whitetail Extreme food plot

Has any one tried this Imperial Extreme seed blend yet? I live in Northeastern Wisconsin and just wondering how well it will survive in the cold weather (although our winters have been pretty mild lately) and how long it stays green into the winter. I have gotten persission from a land owner to do what ever I want as far as food plots. This property has numerous high and dry small clearings inside a 57 acre ceder swamp w/ a 70 acre alfalfa on the west side. I need something to attract the deer during the late bow season, the deer show little interest in the alfalfa once it freezes a couple of times. I have access to a four wheeler to work these small areas and do what needs to be done as far as soil preperation goes, just not sure what to plant. Any suggestions.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:22 PM

Default RE: Imperial Whitetail Extreme food plot

From wis to (berlin area)Planted some this year,followed the instruction but dont seem to be growen well,still green though,deer havent been eating it yet.We also plant biologic,turnips,and buck oats the deer seem to really like that stuff.As far as planting we bought a little harrow disk from fleet farm to work up the hard to reach areas(works great)and we just seed with a hand seeder,and roll it.or we drive over and pack it down with the lawm mover.One thing is talk to a farmer to get some weed killer,because their stuff works better and CHEAPER.
Hope that helps alittle.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Bowkill, the area that I want to plant has fairly sandy soil and from the label on the bag this stuff sounded like it would work pretty well. Did you get a soil test done? Any body else have any ideas as to what will grow well in sandy soil and stay green into the early winter?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:35 PM

Yes,I took 3 samples per field.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a close up of my extreme. It did very well. I planted it late August and this is 4 weeks later. It was still green this past weekend but then most stuff is. The deer were in it pretty good in Oct. Once the gun shots started (we are in Zone T) the deer pretty much went nocturnal. This was the first time I planted it so I do not know how it will do next spring. Also I have pretty good soil but I wanted to try this because it was on a hill side.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Wihunter, that plot looks great. What type of soil did you plant that in.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:52 AM
Spike

I planted the Exteme last spring and mine has done well also. What I found was an application of 34-0-0 is needed about 45 days after planting. It gave mine a tremendous boost. I planted in sandy soil and I think the ground is relatively poor in nutrients. I now have a ritual of adding the fertilizer every 3 months now and it is sucking em in.

I had fair success with the Biologic. It wasn't used by the deer at all until it got cold and then in about two weeks it was gone. The only problem was I wasn't there to hunt during those two weeks. Poor timing on my part.

I'll add a picture as soon as I get back out.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

I planted a plot of Extreme on Sep 11th. It popped up and grew well and nothing touched it until the week before Thanksgiving, when they cleaned it out. It will be interesting to see how it does in the spring.

Extreme is supposed to be for dry areas and we had two hurricanes dump at least 7 inches of rain on it soon after it was planted. You just can't plan the weather.

Here is what was left inside of the exclusion cage.