Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Too late to plant?

Old 07-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too late to plant?

I was planning on planting some clover or winter peas or some type of food for the deer in my area to hunt over in the fall, along a fencerow and on an old four-wheeler trail of ours at the house.

Is it too late to plant? I can't do it til the beginning of August more than likely. I'm just wanting to attract deer, not necessarily produce greater antler sizes. Thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too late to plant?

its been real wet so far this yeat, and cool in my area - you could easily still "spring plant" clover here. Since you are planting for a fall attractant, you might want to wait till Late August and plant a clover/rye mix. Use the 6 weeks to prepare the soil and pick rocks off, put a little lime down or even spray roundup if that sod is real thick.

good luck.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sean I was thinking about seeding some clover or turnips in drilled second crop beans at the end of the month, Do you think they would come up with the beans closing in and shading out the middles, What do you think about just around the field edges where it gets a little sunlight....
Old 07-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron,

I seeded some Alsike clover in beans late last Ausust. The beans were kind of thin due to deer browsing - so sunlight wasn't a problem. The clover took well, but wasn't much of a crop till this June.

If its really shaded, you migh want to mow some off at planting, or wait a month to plant - But I think it could work well for you.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Forget about planting until Labor Day or later in AR. You can plant as late as Oct but the growth might be a little stunted until next spring.

If you try before Sept and normal dry weather occurs you'll lose whatever it is you decide on.

I would suggest soil testing now and adding the necessary lime.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:45 PM

Alot of the plots that I have, I plant during the middle of october. The deer like the plants when they are young and tender. So when are rifle season opens up on November 1st, the plots have all come up and the plants are still young, short, and tender. By the end of deer season the plots have matured and the plants have gotten bigger, and tougher which makes the deer lose interest in them. So it works out perfect.