Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

How late can you plant?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default How late can you plant?

I have plans to plant my fall turnip blend this weekend. Problem is though, we had a lot of rain last week and had some pretty serious flooding on our place. Hopefully the water goes down and things dry out by Sunday or Monday, but if it doesn't I am wondering when will it be too late to plant? I am in southern Iowa. We have planted this same blend for 4 years and it is very quick growing, it seems like with in two weeks(with moisture) it is up and doing pretty well. We have never planted this late before. I am also wondering can you get away with planting winter wheat a little later than other things? We have a winter wheat blend that seems to draw pretty well. If that is an option I could go that route.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How late can you plant?

It all depends on where you are.

Dan O.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

I am in Southern Iowa.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 PM

Hey Guys;

We are located on Manitoulin Island in North Central, Ontario, Canada..... I just got the first of my fall food-plots seeded down today...Planted Whitetail Institute "WINTER GREENS". In this part of North America I should have planted about the 2nd week of August but August was so dry that I didn't want to take a chance so I figured I had to wait abit.....Hope it doesn't freeze off before it matures.

Visit us @ www.youngshighrockoutfitters.piczo.com (think you'll enjoy the pics) We're the "WORKIN' PERSONS" outfitter!!!!

Reguards;

oldmossyface
Old 08-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does this help?

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/map/hzm-nm1.html

http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/ia.html

Determine the days to maturity for the crop (you may not want it fully mature and it may be partially frost hardy). Pick your first frost date from the chart and your hardiness zone from the map. Then decide if you're close to having the crop develop before it gets frosted.

Dan O.