Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer Protein question

Old 07-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Spike

Default Deer Protein question

I was at the local farm store today and saw a block that was 37% crude protein. Right beside it was a bag of dried molasses. Got me to thinking what if you busted the block up real good and mixed in some molasses with it. Wouldn't the deer come readily to the molasses and get plenty of protein in the process. I read where people put out this and that type food plot based on protein content as a way of gauging how good it is for weight and antler growth. Wouldn't this block be a good thing to add to their diet? I know they are hitting my mineral licks hard right now and was thinking about doing this to add more protein to what they get from the food plots already. What do you guys think?
Old 07-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer Protein question

Remember that all protein is not digestible protein. Several years ago I bought a sack of stuff that was suppose to be 90%+ protein. It was, but it was mainly ground up hair. In other words, worthless.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Imperial Cutting edge has addressed that, but I'm afraid the jury is out.

Its difficult to artificially add protien to any wild animal's diet. Literally, you would have to feed hundreds of pounds, to a specific deer, to make much difference. For this simple reason, its seems to make more sense to offer quantity of high protein forage, or supplementally feed (not for me).

I like your thought process however - its good that you want to make a difference, mineral supplements is a good way, especially in certain areas of the country.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

strutter, A deer needs its daily diet to posses 16% of digestable protein to obtain maximum body weight and antler growth, anything over 21% per day and a deer will discard as waste. As far as mineral supplements go there hasnt been one study done to date that shows they are beneficial to increasing antler growth or body weight, but with that said I still put them out, go fiquire, lol. Pike