Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Can I bring them back?...

Old 07-14-2004, 12:03 AM

Default Can I bring them back?...

Ok, heres the deal... My parents bought 11 acres here in East texas deep in the sticks, my friends 35 acres of land wraps around our land in an L shape giving us a total of 46 acres. I know its not much. As u can see by my name we cant afford to get on a deer lease so me and my friend are trying to attract deer to our land. When we moved in to this area 10 years ago(I was 5) there was deer sign all over the place, dropings, tracks, and sightings. We moved in, along with 5 dogs and wammo... no deer have been seen since. Over the past 10 years we have found probably 4 sets of tracks, but have never seen a deer. Iam wanting other peoples opinions about what to do to get the deer back. Our dogs pretty much never set foot on the back 25-30 acres of our land so this is where we are going to try and hunt what do you think?

Oh yeah.. the land is sourounded on two sides by large acreages of woods and on the other two by houses. Last fall I planted an oats plot (too close to the house) with no luck (my fault though).

I put up an arial picture tommorow to show the layout of the land, food plot and where houses are...
Old 07-14-2004, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Can I bring them back?...

The dogs prolly ran them off. Pen your dogs.. so they don't run free.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:38 AM

yeah u can bring them abck and it shouldnt be to hard either !..tell me something where id the nearest source of water at that is close by ...? ok anyways it will take a little while to bring them back but have u thought abt food plots ..? and mineral sites..?the mineral blocks only cost abt 3 or 4 $ and the the food plots is what u make of them but this will attract deer do ur land belive me ur land was like that when we inherted it but now since i have used quialty deer management i have an excellent heard stating to take shape
Old 07-14-2004, 05:27 PM

Here is an Arial veiw of both property's. The blue line is a spring fed creek that runs year round. The lime green squares are houses. And the yellow spot is my oats food plot from last fall that was untouched. The reason nothing is done on my friends place is because untill this year his father wouldn't let us. Also the food plot is so close to the house because there is a large tree house (camo) built across the creek from it that is very nice as a deer stand (spend the night in it and get up in the morning to hunt) Anyway, We are planning to put up two corn feeders on the back of the L shaped land along with two small oat and rye grass food plots and also minerl sites and a drip lick here and there (panty hose filled with apples and mollasses) what do ya think? Ill post another pic with the proposed feeder sites as soon as possible...

Old 07-14-2004, 05:35 PM

Here is a pic showing were we plan to put feeders (pink dots) and oat and rye food plots green outlined shapes. By the way there will only be two people hunting the land.
(Me and my friend)
Old 07-14-2004, 07:31 PM

hey that sounds like it will work real good i dont c any reason that will not work if u need any more help on this u can send me a message i'll try to help u out any way possible
Old 07-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

A couple of things, those food plots and feeders are located at the edge of your property, and may result in your having other neighboring hunters staking the area as well and are those motorcross trails?? That might also have somthing to do with the vanashing deer.

Best of luck
Old 07-15-2004, 09:53 AM

hey PoBoyHunter ok here it is i just got the pics to dl this morning u might want to relocate ur feeder spots to a little more convienet location say around the creek and tell me some thing the wooded area does it get any sun ..? if so u can go to wal mart or a local feed supply store and get some no plow seed to put in there and by the way have u talked to any 1 else in the aera ..? if u can find out where the deer r on this topo map i can help u out a little bit more
Old 07-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

When you say you havn't seen but a couple of deer tracks in about 10 years, I wonder if there are any deer in your area that you can try to draw. Before I put a lot of money in feeders or plots I would buy a few sacks of corn and spread it in a sandy area for a few weeks and see if there are any tracks or other deer sign.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:06 PM

Well...I've got great knews! NOT! My nieghbors dad is being a dick head and doesn't want us (me and his own son) to hunt his land. So Iam stuck with my 11 acres... which aint ****! Sorry for the profanity am just so pissed. No those are not motorcross trails they are trails clear with a tractor from way back when they use to hunt on it. now I have nothing... maybe I should just give up on this and just save my money and get on a real lease [8D] Any way I still have a feeder and two left over bags of oats were should I put (if anywhere) the feeder and food plot on my small piece of land? I just want to attract deer not try to hold them on my land (which would be impossible). ??

Land to work with now...

Quick Reply: Can I bring them back?...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.