Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Protein Question

Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Protein Question

With the rut slowly digressing and the bucks simply exhausted do you guys think that bucks would go after protein supplements (30.06 plus protein from the Whitetail Insititute) this time of year? I know they hit it especially hard around MArch when antler development begins, but I caught myself thinking about this the other day but with no answer. On the surface it would appear that they hit it hard, cause they need the protein they had lost during the rut. On the contrary it seems they would favor 'solid' food, such as buck grub or Record Rack, something that 'sticks to their stomach' as my mom always says. What do you guys think?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Protein Question

From my understanding, getting deer to eat the high protein feeds is something that you have to almost "train" them on over a period of time by mixing it in with corn and then slowly reducing the amount of corn until it is just protein feed. I don't think throwing a bunch of protein pellets on the ground is going to be much of an attraction. Protein is a healthy good for them food, Corn is basically candy to them. Which would you go out of your way for, something good for you or candy?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Protein Question

I feed a protein pellet corn mixtureof 16% from a free choice feeder. I also have a feeder that slings corn at the same feed station. The larger bucks walk in the pen and hit the protein feeder till they are full then mosey off.The other deer eat the corn off the ground. EXCEPTION: Several of the older does will eat from the protien feeder like the gluttens they are till they roll over from bloat or gun shot wound to the head.