Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Looking for RoundUp

Old 05-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking for RoundUp

that depends on what you are spraying and how tall it is. i looked at my label for 41% generic glyphosate. application rates start around 16 oz/acre and go up to 2 to 3 quarts/acre depending on the weed and how tall it is.

the majority of weeds listed recommend 1 quart per acre.

so one gallon will do 4 acres, generally speaking.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

So how can Monsanto possibly know if you bought roundup or Generic ??

I can see whay they care, I don't know how they could enforce it?

- Anyhow - I assume 41% Generic is the same as 41% Roundup - except think I read that you need to add a surfactand (dawn dishsoap?).

Any info would be helpful.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

i would guess that they want copies of receipts showing that you purchased enough RU to cover enough corresponding ground for the RR seeds.

i bought a gallon jug of surfactant 2-3 years ago, 12 bucks. it only takes a few ounces per acre. dawn would probably work just as well. adding ammonium sulphate is also mentioned in the generic label. it comes in little crystals that i pour into a cup, then fill with hot water. i pour this cup back and forth into another cup until it's dissolved. then i pour it through a mesh strainer into the tank. the mesh catches some gravel and what looks like little pieces of dead grass...stuff that can mess up a nozzle or a pump. it's a pita. so i dissolved magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) in water and added household ammonia water. that seems to work just as well.

doing this may make the vegetation burn down another day or three sooner than if you didn't add the surfactant and adjuvants, or it may not. i've never done a side by side test.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Alot of people dont use ru on ready crops. My family doesnt use ru and we havent got caught. If you had a complaint about seed or something like that a Monsanto field rep would come out and want to see reciepts and talk to your dealer and ask neighbors and pretty much investigate your spraying. Only if you have problems I feel you might get caught using a generic when you shouldnt have been. They would basically stand behind no guarantees if you were using a generic, and I think it is somewhat against the law.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

there was a flyer in todays newspaper from a local chain of hardware/farm/ranch supply store. generic roundup 41% was $30/gallon and $65/2.5 gallons. the brand name is pronto.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:58 PM

I found some weed killer that was 41% with sufracant on ebay, try searching under weed killer I got 5 gal shipped to my door for $113 they also sell it in 2.5 gal amounts. Buy the way it is called razor pro and works great.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone looking for a "generic" version of round, check this link - its a good place to start:

http://agbiopubs.sdstate.edu/articles/Glyphosate_04.pdf

not all glyphosate products are the same - this helps a little I think.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

I used some generic stuff from WalMart.. it came in it's own container that had a built in sprayer/pump. Used it on my yard around the deck, fence, house.. and it worked great. Took a little while.. but once the rain hit it the stuff worked like a charm. It was called "Eliminator weed and grass killer" and cost like $12 for a 1.33 gal. You can refill the bottle w/ a new mixture and reuse the pump/sprayer.