Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover question

Old 04-17-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Clover question

Have any of you ever tried this? I just wonder if it's worth buying. If you have tried it, did you have any success or if you've had success with another type of clover let me know. I want to plant some soon.

Plot Spike™ Seed for Deer - Clover Blend

New Zealand winchester white, Oregon crimson and New Zealand hunter red clovers for grazing year-round. Heat-tolerant New Zealand chicory supplements summer grazing.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Clover question

Read the thread "NAHC Food plot Article - bone to pick" about "deer seeds" and farmers seeds. Basically they are the same.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Most of it is basically the same.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

They are exactly the same seed. Here is a couple of Links to clover seed producers. The Modern forage systems sells clover to tecomonte. Same seed half the price. Don't be fooled by a name.

www.modernforage.com

www.rbseed.com
Old 04-25-2004, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

I respect everyone's opinion who has checked in on this question but there are huge differences in clovers. Probably 100's of varieties if not thousands. I've personally planted maybe 11 of these in the last 6 years and there are differences. As I mentioned in a past post, are all cars the same........they are all cars.

I still fall back on the blends (in some cases) they green up quicker and have lasted longer for me. I tried to save money at the Co-op with there cheaper stuff but it didn't do as well. I know the deer perfer some over others because I've planted them side by side a couple of times.

The PlotSpike seed wasn't as successful for me as some of the others and required inoculation but it wasn't bad. You guys need to stick with what you think is the best and let me know if you break the code with another variety or product.

Newmaniskng, I suggest calling a couple of the companies that sell the blends and talk with them. They have helped me out a few times. Make you own decision.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

PopGun - I am not saying that all clover seed is the same. What I am saying is that you can buy the same seed that Tecomonte buys for half of the price. Most all clover seed sold in North America is grown in the the Organ - Washington State area. They NZ White Clover that Tecommonte sells is Huia and Pitau {Sp}. They don't have any magic bean so to speak in there seeds. They buy them from seed producers just like the co-ops. It just happens that I found the producer that sells to Tecommonte. The only difference in those seeds is the package they come in and They may Inoculate {SP} the seed for you. I just can't see paying double the cost for the pretty bag.

Juct my .02 worth
Old 05-09-2004, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Is Tecomate's seed twice as high as what you buy?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:18 AM

Take a little learning trip, to your local coop or seed source. Check the content and origin labels on the bags. It's quite eye opening. If the salesmen aren't too busy, you can get a lot of info. They can tell you what does good in your area and what is a bust.

Russ
Old 05-10-2004, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

PopGun, I can't recall off of the top of my head the exact price price difference but I bought 25 lbs mixture of huia and pitau NZ white clover and including shipping it cost me around $90.00 and the like $3.00 for the inoculant from MFA.
But there was some what of a fairly large difference between the 2 companies.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

How many acres did that plant? I normally pay about $110 for the Imperial 25lbs and it plants 3ac I think. Doesn't need any inoculant or at least I've never added any and it does well.

At they medium growth clovers or the larger type?

Quick Reply: Clover question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.