Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Newbie questions

Old 04-12-2004, 10:10 AM

Default Newbie questions

OK. I have a 4 wheeler and was able to procure an old 6 foot section of disks and a 6 foot section of springtooth. I'd like to work up one or two of my small fields to try to attract some deer from the neighboring farm, where they congregate in large herds. I live in way-upstate NY and hunting season starts in October. I can afford some seed but probably not other chemicals or fertilizer.

I'm thinking of using the equipment to to break up the soil and knock down the weeks two or three times before I plant, just to give the weeds a chance to go through their cycle. When should I plant the food (clover?). June? July? Any adjustments I should make to the plans? The fields right now are old hay and goldenrod.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:49 PM

Default RE: Newbie questions

One suggestion, spend a little on a soil test. Then gamble as you wish. You might be throwing your money into the wind by not knowing what you got in your soil. You need at least 6.6 or up for clover, ideally and if it's clover, you shouldn't need Nitrogen but you might need P + K.

Russ
Old 04-12-2004, 08:08 PM

Default RE: Newbie questions

heres a good reference for looking up planting dates, it has pretty much every popular deer seed that is planted
http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/info/usazonemap.html