Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

FOOD PLOT IN THE MIDDLE OF WOODS

Old 02-15-2002, 03:31 PM

Default FOOD PLOT IN THE MIDDLE OF WOODS

I have just finished clearing about 2 acres of woodland. I have already done a soil test the test results for the ph is only 4.5
I am looking for some ideas on what to plant for this coming deer season. I will lime first and probably from what I have been told will increase the ph to around 5.5 because they say you can only lime so much at a time .
I would appreciate any help
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:29 PM

Default RE: FOOD PLOT IN THE MIDDLE OF WOODS

Welcome to the board, I would check out some of the Bio-Logic lines..Clover is a good choice to start..For the fall..Full Draw is also a good choice...Look at what they have to offer...I have had great results with their line..
Old 02-16-2002, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FOOD PLOT IN THE MIDDLE OF WOODS

Good for you! You will probably have a tough time establishing a real good clover plot the first year due to the acidity. You are right, even if you lime per the reccomendation (8-9 tons/acre probably) it will take a few years to swing the Ph that much.

White clover and I think Red clover will grow somewhat at Ph's of 5.0 - I'd start probably with a mix of these, but first disk in 80-100 lb/acre of Rye or Oats after you apply your lime. Then overseed the clovers. Plan on applying more lime the next year and replanting it again, though you may be surprised at how well the plot comes in. Not only do you need to change the Ph, you need to add organic matter to the soil and this is accomplished by plowing under you 1st year's plot (maybe even the second year)

With this plan, even if the clover's fail - which they might - the Rye or oats will should grow well enough to provide a food source for your deer, and organic matter to the soil, while the lime has a chance to work.

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do - and how you make out.