Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot in the woods

Old 07-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default food plot in the woods

I've been kicking around an idea about putting a food plot on my property. my problem is that it is solid woods, I don't own any fields. the only "open" area i have is my 4-wheeler road. I have been thinking about planting the 4-wheeler road in Biologic clover plus and Hotspot. My worry is the amount of sunlight, or lack of sunlight.

does anyone have experience in foodplots in woods or anywhere that is low light?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:30 AM

Default RE: food plot in the woods

Go for it I have 2 small plots but I have more clovers planted in my tractor trails. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain. There are some spots that next to nothing grows because of lack of sun lite but most
(90%) of the trails have something growing. I do see more deer in my trails than I do the 2 small plots that I have. Maybe because they don't have to be far from cover?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Plant natural forage that normally grows in the local woods and fertilize it , you won't have to sweat the low light and the fertilizer will make them both grow more vigorously and taste better .
Old 07-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iown only woods too, but for the past two years I've planted a food plot on a fenceline. There is a pretty good canopy of trees but the fencerow gets the ground enough sunlight. I mow it down with a regular household mower and till it with a tiller.

I've had great results so far. I also planted a bowhunting plot on my Grandpa's property and it looked like a golf course.

Here are some pics. Both of mine were maybe 40 yards from my stand tree at the furthest...of course I was bowhunting...but both brought in deer...

You can see the corn feeder, but all the area directly in front of the camera (shaded) is where I plant my food plot at our house.

This is my Grandpa's plot. It's in a wooded area too but the pic was taken at night-time. You can see how well it came up though...
Old 07-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: FroMan

Iown only woods too, but for the past two years I've planted a food plot on a fenceline. There is a pretty good canopy of trees but the fencerow gets the ground enough sunlight.
A fenceline is always an excellent place to establish even a small plot since fencelines are deer magnets and funnel them right to the plot .

Say Fro , do you really like feeding the coons that much ?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Say Fro , do you really like feeding the coons that much ?
Sowhat ifI do?

I was going to keep my big buck pictures private...but what the heck--this is for you Kevin.

And for everyone else...

The small food plots "in the woods" do work...
Old 07-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Fork Horn

Nice pics FroMan, but what's up with the bucks rt. back leg?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: St.Barnard

Nice pics FroMan, but what's up with the bucks rt. back leg?
Not sure...I thought maybe he'd been shot before, got hit by a car, or had an infected tarsal gland of some sort? I really have no idea...but it's not a good thing...that much I do know.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info and pics. what did you plant?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I plant winter wheat and oats in the plot at my house. At my Grandparent's I planted a mixed bag of goodies. Had clover, wheat, oats, rye, and some other stuff in it. It cost a bit more for the mix. The wheat and oats (two 50# bags) is like...20 bucks. I'm po, and I can afford that.

Quick Reply: food plot in the woods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.