Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food plot-Central Illinois

Old 03-26-2004, 01:18 PM

Default Food plot-Central Illinois

Want to plant food plot for deer in central Illinois. Plan on planting this spring what would you recommend
Old 03-26-2004, 08:56 PM

Default RE: Food plot-Central Illinois

Being from Central Ill. you should have pretty good soil, but it wouldn't hurt to do a soil sample.
If this is your first year I would suggest that you plant strips of different plants; White Clover, Red Cover, Iron Clay Peas, whatever comes to mind. You probably won't have to plant corn as it probably grows all around you. Make your plantings different from what is around the area. By planting strips, you can find just what the deer might be attracted to best. Brassicas, winter peas are late fall, early winter forage, Clovers for summer, early fall. There are more forages, but I haven't any experience in them. Watch this page, others will give you more ideas.

russ
Old 03-28-2004, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

I'll second the suggestion to planting strips of various plants. They each have their benefits.

I am planting a mix of about 20% corn, 50% soybeans, and 30% grain sorghum. I'm going over the top with some clover.

I like the visual cover and energy the corn will provide, the drought tolerance of the grain sorghum, and the protein of the beans. The clover is for a ground cover and protein. I realize this is a bit non-traditional, but it can all go in together with a no-till drill to save time and $.

My food plots this year will be no-til seeded into pasture sod I treat with Round Up. The soil is low in nitrogen but OK in P and K. Soil pH is about 6.5. I will gradually improve soil fertility in the future. The farm is new to me and I have to depend upon the farmer's schedule to get things planted.

All together, I am planning five food plots on this 800 acre lease. My hope is that the deer will leave the plots alone long enough to get well established.

Good luck!

LLBUX
Old 03-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Spike

I like to give the deer on my propety as much variety as possible in order to hold them on a yearly basis. I plant corn, soybeans,and a clover/chicory mix. In the fall I plant buck forage oats. Check out my website to see some of my plots NewAgeWhitetails.com