Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover

Old 03-10-2004, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Clover

I've read in several places that clover does best when planted in the fall. Is it advisable to wait until then to try to establish a new plot or should I go ahead and try this spring. I would appreciate any input on this matter.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Clover

Have you done a soil sample? The ladino clovers need a good quality top soil of about 8-12 inches. Different folks use the spring vs fall planting methods. With the fall planting you should get a chance for the plant to root before the stress of summer heat. With the spring you get some results the same year.
We still advise using the alamac and other weather advisory information sites. If the seedling is exposed to extreme heat or cold before 30-60 days there is a good chance of failure.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

soil test and consult with your local ag extension/soil & water district for input.
not knowing your situation and conditions (and seeing it) it is hard to give the best advice.
some generalities:
spring seeding - highest competition from existing weeds, etc., best growing conditions
fall seeding - little to no competition, decent growing conditions
frost seeding - for more northern climates, spread seed when there is frost/feezing at night and warmer temps during the day
Old 03-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have had a soil test and am waiting for the results. The last soil test was about 2 yrs ago and the PH was about 6.0 at that time. Since then I have sowed rye in the fall on this plot but, would like a perennial. Unless someone talks me out of it, I am leaning towards a mixture of clover and chickory. The chickory sounds good however, it is expensive. I haven't found it less than $8 lb.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the winters are mild or the snow cover is heavy fall planting will work.

Dan O.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clover can be best when planted 6-8 weeks prior to heavy frosts in the fall. The best reason for fall planting is that the small, established clover goes dormant, and is poised to take advantage of abundant moistue when spring comes - Fall planting gives it a real good jump-start in the spring. Clover grows slow, and a spring seeding must compete with weed & grasss seeds that grow so much faster.

Still a spring seeding is a good option as long as moisture is abundant. I like to plant it with a nurse crop like Rape-seed, or Oats. The nurse crop helps to compete against weeds, yet still allows the clover to establish. Since both are annuals - they are gone in a year, or after a few mowings..

Chicory might offer a similar result - I'm not sure.

Good luck -
Old 03-11-2004, 10:31 PM

I asked that question to Antler King owner Todd Stittleburg and he said without hesitation, "Spring." (in WI).