Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need some info for this one guys

Old 03-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Spike

Default Need some info for this one guys

I was planning on planting a few apple trees on my farm in the next week or so. In preparation of this I was checking out planting sites on the net so I would have a good chance of success with them. I was reading about cedar rust that gets on the trees and found that it is caused by cedar trees. My farm is loaded with cedar trees and according to the site, all cedars within 1/4 mile should be removed to have much success with an apple tree doing well. I have never heard of this but I don't have any apple trees growing on my farm either. Anyone know if apple trees will do well with cedars near by or is it a lost cause to plant apple trees around them. I have lots of cedars, to dang many to cut to grow an apple tree anyway.

Thanks,
Strutter
Old 03-12-2004, 05:06 PM

Default RE: Need some info for this one guys

Strutter,
The web is right about the rust spreading to you apple trees and fruit. Cedar treees started growing about 100 yds from my apple trees. It took me a couple of years to figure out what was happening. I removed the cedar and the problem went away. If I were planting for widlife I would still plant the apple trees since the rust did not hurt the quanity, only the rusty colored leaves. I purchased 24 apple trees for $3.00 each on Ebay from a grower in Tennesee, they are doing great. They were 2 to 3 feet tall but a great price. In the second year they are as tall as the expensive trees sold by growers
Mike