Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Clover, yard clover what kind is it? >

Clover, yard clover what kind is it?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover, yard clover what kind is it?

Old 04-12-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Clover, yard clover what kind is it?

My yard looks like a field plot. The White clover that invades my whole yard is the meanest, most agressive stuff you have ever seen. It is a white clover and if you don' t mow it, will get up to 18" tall and spread like wildfire. Could this stuff make a good food plot? The son' s horses make a beeline for it when he gets them out for shoeing, or working with them. I' m gonna try and transplant some and see what results I get. I feel that if it is fertilized, limed and given a good start, it may be the way to go rather than buying expensive " special" seed. What do you think?
Old 04-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Clover, yard clover what kind is it?

It won' t be as good as Ladino but it' ll work if you let your lawn go to seed and mature until the seed pods are brown.

Dan O.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:55 PM

Dan, I have collected seed that way and have used it in spots in the horse pasture. What I am doing now is transplanting the clover onto spots of my lake levee and also in a few selected spots around the edge of some food plots. I might even take a small clear spot and transplant it all by itself to see if it gets any usage. If the deer browse in it, I may enlarge the plantings.
Russ
Old 04-15-2003, 06:50 PM

One thing about this clover. It does fantastic in shade. In fact, it seems to favor any shady spot. Grows real well under my fruit trees, 10-12 inches tall and very thick. It may be just the thing back in the timber where it is hard to open a sunny spot as needed by most other clovers that require a lot of sunlight.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Russ,

Its probably Burr Clover, but could be a version of Dutch as well. I' m pretty sure it has about 1/2 the protein of Ladino (but still its higher than most grains), and does well with Nitrogen fixation.

Good Luck - I' ve often wondered the same thing with the clover in my lawn and did some searching a couple years back.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:31 PM

My wife agrees with you, Farm Hunter. She was born & raised on a farm. I have a couple of shady, damp spots in the timber that I am going to try and transplant it. Then set up a control cage to monitor it. May take a year or two.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Russ I' m glad someone asked THE clover question.I have it in my yard and thought any clover that tough should work great in the woods.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:22 PM

I at least 90% sure that it is a variety of Dutch White clover. It gets the familiar white blossom. Burr clover has a furry type of bloom and is a sort of tan. Infact, if growing in very rich soil can get 2 feet tall and the blossoms tend to turn reddish. It spreads as fast as our local Bernuda does. Our quarter-acre of fruit trees is 50% covered this spring. I' ve got a spot transplanted in the timber and just need to place a monitoring cage. About July I' ll post an update.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Russ; was the clover part of a grass mixture that you planted? Some mixes use low growing (dutch) clover as a filler in the mixture so something will grow on poor soil.

Dan O.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:32 PM

No, the clover is evidently native. It has just been the yard for many years. But it seems that it has established itself so well that it is crowding out what little grass we have. It is not a low growing clover, but with constant mowing tends to hug the ground more. If it is not nowed, it will grow up to 14-16 inches. The only seed I have used in our lawn has been some perenial rye grass to cover bare spots where I may have dug the sod out for some reason. I have plugged the front and side yards with Zoysia grass and that will crowd out the clover and anything else due to it' s thick mat, but it has taken me 12 years to get it established. I' ve got some transplated in a shady, damp spot in the timber and will post it' s progress as soon as it takes hold and spreads.
Russ

Quick Reply: Clover, yard clover what kind is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.