Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Biologic Clover

Old 01-15-2004, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Biologic Clover

I have planted Biologic with excellent results in the past. Last night at Wal-Mart, I was buying some .410 shells, and I saw that their rack of seeds were on clearance. The 2lb bags of Biologic Clover were marked down to $3. I bought 12 bags since I was planning on planting another field this spring anyway.

I am going to lime/fertilize this weekend, so the plot will be ready. (The bag says that the pH should be 5.8. I can get my ground to that with just a little lime/fert) I sprayed it in the fall with roundup, and it appears to be dead. I will disc the tar out of it when the ground thaws.

Any other pointers for planting this clover? Innoculent needed? Should I roundup it again before planting?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Biologic Clover

I can't talk specifically about "biologic clover" because I've never used it - hopefully its a perennial clover - I'm sure it says on the bag.

In general - plant it a little heavier than usual - maye 25% more than it says to - because since its old - its likely that some portion will not germinate.

Yes - Go to the "farm store" or Co-op near you and get a bag of Inoculant - it cost like $3.00. Get the one for White Clover.

Broadcast it just before a rain and roll it in - even if you have to use your truck tires - Pressing it into the soil is 5 times better than covering it - and its important that the soil is "compacted" for good germination.

Good luck - We still have A LONG WAYS till spring here.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Spike

Default RE: Biologic Clover

Proline since youve already got things killed off to bare ground you may consider frost seeding in Feb. or early March.