Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Anyone tried Biologic Maximum?

Old 06-12-2003, 06:17 PM

Default Anyone tried Biologic Maximum?

Due to heavy rains and a balky tractor i did not get to plant. I was looking at the Biologic website and came up on Maximum. It says for late spring/early summer. We are still having enough rain
Old 06-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone tried Biologic Maximum?

Depends on what area you' re in. Down south it' s getting kind of late to be planting most stuff but if you' re up north you still have some time. Here in NC were just starting to hit the mid 80' s temp wise and we' ve had more than enough rain. Normally we would average well into the 90' s by now and things would be getting dry.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:11 AM
Typical Buck

It all depends on rainfall for the brassicas. They do well in hot weather as far as growth, but they need timely rain just like most anything.

As far as the Maximum mix goes though, its a combination of about 6 brassicas, with 3 maturing for palability early, and 3 maturing for palability late. I have it planted in their Premium Perinnial mix, which to my understanding is a mix of Maximum, 4-5 clovers, and chicory. It was planted 5/10 and although we' ve had many nights since with frost, we' ve had timely cold rains and it seems to have germinated and been established well. On a warm day now you can just about watch it grow(brassicas). I just applied Poast herbacide on the entire planting for grass control, and I look forward to looking at it in a week and a half when I return from vacation.

I plant to spot-seed any light areas with Maximum, which with brassicas you can have pretty successful germination seeding on bare ground just before or during a rainstorm.

I' ve been using brassica/clover combos for a few years now, and for right now I can' t imagine not having at least 50% of my fields planted in it. I have been very, very, pleased with the results of the combo, and am looking forward to gauging the results of the Biologic brand.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 06-13-2003, 10:26 AM

I took an existing plot of Biologic Perennial and seeded in the Maximum to bring back the brassicas. I hit the plot lightly with a disc spread the seed and then rolled it. As of last weekend none of the Maximum had come up. I don' t know if the clover has choked it out or what but the clover that was left over from last year is doing very well and is probably 12" to 14" high. We have had plenty of rain and that probably contributed to the clover coming back so strong.