Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

frost seeding

Old 05-16-2003, 10:37 AM

Default frost seeding

So I bought the Food Plots easy as 1-2-3 from Ed in the Mid-Michigan branch of QDMA. Has anyone tried his process for frost seeding. He says to spray roundup in May, July and September and then spread the seed the following spring during the freezing and thawing stage. This is a no-till method therefore no weeds are tilled back up to germinate. Just wondered if anyone had success trying this.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: frost seeding

I' ve reseeded clover by spreading the seed over the last layers of snow and the stand did thicken up. It should be even better with competing vegetation killed off. Did they give any advice for inocculating the seed if the crop wasn' t already growing in the field?

Dan O.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wig...I' ve also seeded in the snow like Dan said. The freezing/thawing really helps to set the seed into the soil.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve done it to, but if you' re spraying roundup anyway, its not 100% neccesary to frost seed, just spray, then broadcast a few days later. If you can run a set of discs across it - so much the better. Frost seeding probably does a little better job.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:41 PM

If I spray Roundup 2X' s (10 day' s apart) can, I seed before a rain and still get good results this summer for clover and/or the brasica' s?
Old 05-19-2003, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unc Al - Its all about seed/soil contact. If the sod (dead or not) prevents it, then No. The roundup creates conditions favorable to let clover dominate when planted after spraying, but you still need to make sure the clover hits the soil. A good set of diccs will expose enough soil after spraying. If you cannot disk - then any disturbment of the soil will help.

Frost seed ing works in this case because the thawing/freezing process gets the tiny clover seeds through the dead sod.

Good luck