Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Frost seeding

Old 03-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Frost seeding

I planted a clover plot in N.E. Penna. last August. Due to lack of rain the plot needs to be overseeded. I would like to frost seed the clover plot. My questions are:when should Ioverseed the plot? At what rate should I apply the seed? Will this overseeding effect my weed control efforts this spring and summer?
Old 03-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Spike

Default RE: Frost seeding

The frost seeding or "dormant" seeding dates may have been missed. Most dormant seeding is done 15 to 20 days prior to your freeze date or just after until the ground is too hard.

If you are considering seeding into snow or frost, then that will be just prior to conditions being too "slushy" to work in. Best is to pick a cold morning when it is still cold...during the day it will get messy with the warmth.

I have also heard of people broadcasting into 2 to 3 inches of snow. The dark seed melts into the snow and down into the slurry of mud in the spring...hoping to find some "seed to soil contact".

I am not a big fan of either one to tell you the truth. I usually use my drill to interseed if needed or I just start over if the existing cover is not satisfactory...why fight it.

Let me know if other questions.

Land DR
Old 03-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had good luck frost seeding legumes any time the ground is frozen. This time of year you get a good freeze/thaw cycle going which cracks the seed coat and works it into the ground. The seeding rate should be the same as the original recommendation.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would try it. Right know (at least here in so. central NY) the conditions are ideal (little to no snow; very cold nites - teens - and sunny, "warm" - above 30 - days). If your ground has a lot of gaps in the vegetation, it should work great. Seedthe legume (clover) at 2-4#/ac. (i would go 2-3). As far as the weed control, you'll have to discuss that with the chemical people/label. I believe there are chemicals that will kill broad leaf weeds and not harm clovers/grasses too much or at all. Have to check though,
Old 03-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I also, was told By Arron, who has his own seed company that he frost seeds on top of the snow or right before a snow storm.