Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Vantage help

Old 05-16-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Vantage help

Anyone here that has used vantage to control grass in their clover. Please give me some advice as when to spray, how often, and most effective mixing rates. I have 3 acres of clover and will spray by hand. Thanks [&:]
Old 05-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Vantage help

lawnfarmer; I' ve never used it, but couldn' t you make a wick applicator to drag behind your lawn tractor?

Dan O.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:58 PM

Lawnfarmer,
I tried searching on the web for info on Vantage. Got lost in a sea of herbicides and almost couldn' t find my way out. The only thing I might have found out is vantage uses the same chemical as Poast. You might check with your extension agent and see if he can help. When I did a search for Vantage, herbicide I got 619 hits. Sorry I couldn' t help more.
Russ
Old 05-16-2003, 09:41 PM

You can get label info on Vantage by going to cwc-chemical.com. Go to products and click on Micro-Flo. I have not used the product and am currently trying to find a product to control grasses in Imperial Whitetail clover. It appears that Poast Plus is alot cheaper and goes further. Anyone have any experience?
Old 05-16-2003, 10:49 PM

Dan, that' s a good idea. I can make a wick boom out of PVC. I may do that. I thought for sure someone on the site had used Vantage. I paid 127.dollars for a gallon of it. I' ve read all the internet gobbledegook and label stuff till my little pea brain can' t take any more. I' d rather not experiment with chemicals if I don' t have to. A little input from someone thats used it would be most helpful. Thanks.[&:][&:] terry
Old 05-19-2003, 10:20 AM

My big problems with using the Vantage and or Poast herbicide is the fact that the labels say no grazing for seven days. I was unsure if I should use the herbicide if the deer should not eat it for seven days after use. Of course the Whitetail Institute does endorse the product.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:24 AM

i have been using the vantage product for the last couple of years. i have found that spraying when the grasses are 6" -8" works best. you can mow first and spray a couple of weeks later or spray first and mow a couple of weeks later. in the past spraying first seemed to work best for me. i also hit the plot with some fert at the same time as spraying. this gave the clover a growing spurt and helped choke out the grasses that did not die. just remember the vantage works like roundup and should be sprayed when the grasses are green and growing. do not spray when the plot is stressed or dry. when using poast, the poast plus comes with the crop oil allready added unlike the regular poast.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lawnfarmer
I' ve used it and the rate was 2.5 oz per gallon if I recall(for heights of 1ft or taller) and 1.5-2 oz per gallon if the grass is short(er). You need to wait until the grass is growing...so wait a week or two after you mow. Also I' ve been told a good way to use it is to cut the dose in half, and apply...then wait a week or two and apply the other half.
I just have a small plot and use a hand sprayer. I think for something your size...that might be alot of work, unless you only have certain areas that have grass...then you could spot spray. It seems to work fairly well, though I don' t think you can ever get rid of it all
Old 05-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Whitetail is right...