Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

weeds-HELP

Old 04-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default weeds-HELP

Last year I put in a clover field (Imperial) that was taken over with weeds. I did mow and that seemed to help. The weeds were mostly grasses and tall yellow weeds. Some kind of mustard weed I was told. ANyway I am getting ready to spread lime and fertilizer again this year on it and was wondering what and when I should spray on the field to prevent weeds from taken the field over this year. Thanks
Old 04-17-2003, 05:56 AM
SAK

Default RE: weeds-HELP

If you are trying to control grasses in a clover plot, Whitetail institute sells a herbicide by the name of Vantage. It works well if you spray BEFORE the grass gets too tall and actively growing. So, as when to spray I would say the time is now. You can also get it through QDMA at a much cheaper cost but you have to be a member.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

the chemical name of what you want to use to kill the grasses (while leaving the broadleafs) is SETHOXYDIM. it' s not cheap, and breaks down after a few hours of exposure to the atmosphere.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:41 PM

Also heard of product called " Poast" to kill grasses in broad leaf plants.
Have not tried it. Heard about from " Bio-Logic"
Old 04-23-2003, 10:58 AM

psandhu,

What do you mean breaks down after being exposed to the atmosphere for a few hours. It quits working, or what?
Old 04-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

there was a similar post about this about a year ago, i' m not sure on which forum or website. someone that was knowledgeable said that sethoxydim (which is in Poast) will decompose after a few hours upon exposure to sunlight and oxygen in the atmosphere. so with that in mind, you would want to make sure that when it' s applied to the grass, the grass is actively growing. in other words, if you apply it when it' s cool or not sunny, the product will stay on the surface of the grass and start to decompose before it' s fully absorbed by the plant. this is a waste of time and money. you want to apply it when it' s warm and sunny and perhaps a few days after a rain, when the grass is actively growing and will absorb the product and take it all the way to the roots.