Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sawtooth Oaks

Old 04-22-2003, 09:30 PM

Default Sawtooth Oaks

I live in west central WI and I am wondering if sawtooth oak will grow in my area? I have read that they produce acorns at young age. On my property I have well drained soils in some areas and wet year round in others. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sawtooth Oaks

In the March 2003 issue of Quality Whitetails Kent Kammermeyer profiled Sawtooth Oaks and he writes:
" The Sawtooth Oak was introduced into the eastern U.S. around 1920. Its range of adatation extends from north Florida to east Texas, through Missouri into southern New England. However, it is subject to winter kill in upstate New York and throughout the north slopes and higher elevations of the Apalachian Mountains, as far south as Georgia."
Sounds like if you planted them on south facing slopes in Wisconsin you may have a chance, but doesn' t sound too promising. Surely there are some on the board that have direct knowledge of the subject.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sawtooth Oaks

timbercruiser: I' ve read that the Sawtooth is hardy to zone 5a.

Dan O.