Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Controlling Weeds

Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Controlling Weeds

I'm in the process of getting some clover(biologic) planted in a few small areas, and am looking for chemical to control the vast amount of weeds. I've looked at most of the different types round-up sprays and all of the ones I looked at kill clovers. What do you recommend doing to kill the weeds but keep the clover and grasses I'm planting, growing. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Controlling Weeds

kill the weeds before you plant the clover, utilize the stale seedbed method.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:59 PM

If you've already got the clover planted and it's being invaded by weeds try poast. It will kill weeds but will not effect legumes.

Whitetail institute sells a product called Slay and Arrest. I think Arrest is the one you want but take a look http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/herbicides/

I got some at a local agway. I'll check the package name and post it as soon as I can.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple Mowing will handle most weeds for 2-3 years in a well established clover plot - after 3 years - you might want to consider poast - In my opinion - its cheaper to plant again however - especailly with small plots of 1 or 2 acres.

FH
Old 05-22-2005, 01:57 AM

I've got about an acre of clover across the road - deer love it. I mow it, I won't say it controls the weeds but it makes them less noticeable.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:47 AM

Slay is Private Labeled Pursuit herbicide...probably cheaper if you buy Pursuit. Arrest is Poast.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the information. I checked the prices and Pursuit is a little cheaper but you have to buy 32 acres worth. It comes in 1 gallon for $522.50 and the recommendation is 4 ozs per acre. I've got 3 acres to spray and really didn't want to buy a 10 year supply so the link http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/herbicides/ has a 4 acre treatment of slay for $138.50 and its better for my needs.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys. It seems my plot mainly consist of some type of stingweed?, along with some Kochia, Pigweed and Lamsquarters weeds. After cuting the weeds down, my arms were slighty swollen from touching them and the sting from the weeds stayed in my arms for about 24-48 hours. So it looks like the Slay would be best for my needs. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:30 AM

I used Vantage one year and it didn't do squat....
Old 05-26-2005, 05:27 PM

FYI...Poast will not ...repeat Not...kill weeds. Poast is grass selective and only effective on grass plants.

Quick Reply: Controlling Weeds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.