Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
how and what do I do to kill weeds on my food plot >

how and what do I do to kill weeds on my food plot

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

how and what do I do to kill weeds on my food plot

Old 02-02-2003, 08:02 PM

Default how and what do I do to kill weeds on my food plot

I planted an acre of clover. It is doing great, but weeds are starting to be a problem.....Do I brushhog and thats all or should I add a weed killer in the spring..Can anyone tell me what product to use to kill weeds that wont harm the clover????....Also, when do I apply the weed killer and/or brushhog......thanks very much, scott boain

scott boain
Old 02-03-2003, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how and what do I do to kill weeds on my food plot

Make sure you blades are sharpe when you use a brushog... Start mowing asoon as the weeks start growing. Mow to the top of the clover. If the clover is ten inches o higher mow back to 4-6 inches. Weeds my be usually controlled by mowing. Grasses and the more hardier weeds may be controlled by spraying. We suggest that you dilute the spray to 50% of manufacturers instructions and spray two weeks apart. It just seems that you get more of the noxious plants that way...

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 02-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how and what do I do to kill weeds on my food plot

sboain - Welcome to the board.

It might make a difference whether the plot you describe was planted last fall or last spring.

If fall planted, and you are seeing weeds, and have not mowed yet, - then its too early to decide whether to spray or not. A good deal of the weeds that come in right after planting are fast growing, annuals. They will grow even faster at spring green up, wait till they get up good and start to flower, then mow them. By this time (Early June in my area) the clover should be well established, and fill in the voids after mowing quite quickly.

If the plot was planted last Spring, and weeds are taking over already, then it is likely that something clover needs is still absent in the soil, or drought may have hindered clover growth. If you sod planted, sometimes clover cannot ever get ahead of weed growth, especially grasses - and spraying may be your only option.

Lunchbucket is right - if grasses are your problem, at best mowing will acheive status quo conditions, usually grasses will win out in 1-2 years if there is a heavy presence - spraying with Poast or equivalent may be your only option.

Good Luck.