Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need Food Plot help!!

Old 05-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need Food Plot help!!

We bought a brush hog over 3 weeks ago and when we went to to use it the next day, it broke after running it just 2 minutes. We took it back the next day and the new one they ordered wont be in for a few more days. We plan on brush hogging and spraying next weekend, we then must wait 2 weeks after we spray to sow the seed. Is there and clover that we can plant in late May? Imperial clover and No Plow say' s on their web site that May 15th is the cut off for spring planting in SE. Ohio. thank' s for any help!! Pike
Old 05-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Food Plot help!!

You need to spray growing foliage to get the best kill off. If you bush hog the green leaves off the plants you won' t have any growing surface to absorb the herbicide. Why don' t you spray now (if it' s actively growing) and then bush hog when it starts to yellow?

Dan O.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe it depends on the type of brush, but I' ve actually had great luck killing tag-alder by cutting as low to the ground as I needed it, and then immediatly spraying with round-up.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

i agree with dan o. you need to spray it a week or two before you plan on bush hogging it. if you spray it after you bush hog it, it' s like going to the barber for a haircut, then washing your hair that' s fallen on the floor.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guy' s, Thanks for taking the time to reply!! We considered spraying before brush hogging the same day that the brush hog broke, but unfortunately that is not an option because of the briars and small saplings there is no way to get an ATV. with a sprayer and boom thru these over grown thick area' s that use to be field' s, so the only option is to brush hog first. Thanks again. Pike
Old 05-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

JP, A freind of mine {wolfy} who hunts by the trailer park at TMI,said you can plant the clover up to the third week in may.They plant in Central PA in the third week and it works out fine.You could save money on the brush hog and get pigger to help you.
Good -luck with your plot!
Old 05-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wolfy, Planting near TMI has nothing to do with planting in Non radioactive soil, Do you think everybody in south central PA. can grow 20lb tomato' s? But Pigger would be a big help!! Pike
Old 05-08-2003, 09:54 AM

I have planted clover Memorial Day weekend, and it worked fine.