Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Why arent deer eating my food plot?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why arent deer eating my food plot?

I planted a small (about 1/4 acre) food plot last year and though it didnt come up that great last year it came up really well this year. I do have pics of some deer eating in it during the summer, but as of now during hunting season it doesnt look like they are touching it. Ive heard of plots where the deer just tear it up but mine isnt anywhere near that. I have yet to see a deer feeding in it this fall. Whats going on? I thought food plots were supposed to be great??? I have part Imperial Clover, part off brand, and part Biologic Clover Plus. Any suggestions? I was really excited this year to see the deer eating it but so far its just sat there, uneaten. Im thinkin of putting in an annual next year, maybe some of that tall large leafed plots i see Tecomate makes, whatever thats called. Thanks for ANY help you have.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:55 PM

Default RE: Why arent deer eating my food plot?

Where are you located? After a couple frosts the clover and alfalfa "sours" from what I hear. Deer turn to corn, beans, brassicas if you got them, and start sampling cedar. If your perennials are doing well I wouldn't change things up maybe justbalance things outwith some winter greens for next year by over seeding or planting along the edges of the plot.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know about your area, but there is the biggest acorn crop, especially water oaks, this year I have ever seen. Where I hunt in South Alabama they can feed anywhere they want to, and they love acorns. The people in North Florida I know that have corn piles out say the deer aren't even eating the corn.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Spike

Deer in my area love clover in the summer, and throughout the fall. I also have a ton of apple and acorn trees everywhere. There are also aton of corn and soybean feilds everywhere. I recently planted brassicas this fall. The deer didn't touch it. I think deer need time to get used to having a different food source available. Sometimes, the area where the deer feel comfortable, also, have a great deal on whether the deer will use it or not. I suggest planting the clover again. Also, contact your local USDA office. They can help out a lot.

Monster Buck Creations
Food Plots-Land Enhancment-hunting counsalting
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Right it does take deer to aclamate to a new crop, but clover usally is not a new thing to deer anywhere. They have seen it wether in the wild or in hay fields. With the little details you have given us heres what I believe. Its lacking better nutritional value than what is around or it recieved to much pressure and the deer are staying clear of that area. Try fertilizing it and add more lime to next year, even add more fertilizer right before the season.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

we just left it alone because we didnt have time to put a stand by it. I put a camera out there numerous times and hardly got anything on it. The clover looks real nice, so i know its not that. Im just frustrated that all these TV shows and magazines say food plots with clover are absolutely amazing the way the deer eat them, and i have yet to see any results.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are acorns everywhere in OK this year. Deer prefer whiteoak acorns to nearly anything that you can grow or feed to them: They mostly ignore the apple flavored corn inthe feeders.The deer are hitting my oats plots but not heavily.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kdsberman
I have part Imperial Clover, part off brand, and part Biologic Clover Plus. Any suggestions?
Yeah, but what varieties of clover did you plant? When is each variety palatable, why, how often/when should it be cut to maintain attractiveness? Ask youselfif you met all the individual needs of each type/variety of seed in the bag with the cute deer picture on it. SoilPH, sunlight, rainfall, N-P-Knutrients, micronutrients? What did your soil test tell you to apply for lime and fertilizer? What other AG crops, native browse is availible, cover? Where are you? What are the deer feeding on in your area and why?

There is no magic seed or secrete blend available in a bag. Know what you actually plant, and what to expect. Then try to analyze the results and understand why.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 PM

a lot of corn fields around?? acorn trees???
Old 12-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest, i never did a soil test or did any lime or fertilizer. BUT...it seems i didnt need to because the clover came up very well. One thing i can blame myself with is that i never trimmed it. For one, i dont know when to do it and how much and with that piece of equipment. I know this makes me sound lazy, but im not real knowledgeable on food plots, and thats why im trying to learn. Thanks for any help.