Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Why aren't deer eating food plot?

Old 11-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Why aren't deer eating food plot?

My dad and I put in our first food plot this summer back in the woods and planted it with Thro' N Gro' this year. It has come great, about 6-8 inches now but the deer haven't touched it at all. We put a small wire cage up to judge the growth and usage but the entire food plot is just as tall as the caged part. The area we placed the plot in was an open area that deer travelled through in past years. This is one reason why we chose this site.

Any suggestions on why the deer are not eating in this plot? Any info would help.

We did have someone and steal a ladder stand in the bow season that was place about 15 yards off the plot and are wondering if they did something to the food plot to keep the deer from eating it. Could this a cause to why the deer are not coming in? We have looked around the entire area but don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Why aren't deer eating food plot?

Around here there are so many acorns available that the deer are feeding on their preferred food source. Same thing happened last year with the abundant acorn crop.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah they dont touch mine either.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Around here there are so many acorns available that the deer are feeding on their preferred food source.
There are lots of acorns here too. However, the deer are hittingmy oats plots hard.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 AM

Could be something simple like they don't know what it is so they don't eat it.
The first year I planted buckwheat the deer didn't touvh it, then they learned it was good and have hammered every year since.
I planted some oats for the first time this year and as of a coupl weeks ago they hadn't been touched either even though they were eating other stuff in plots.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are not eating hardly anything out of my plots either this year,but the woods are loaded with white oak acorns. Food plot activity slows down in year of heavy mast. Dont worry later this winter they will start hitting them.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've read it may take up to 3 years for deer to learn to use a food plot. If it's a new food to them that ehy haven't eatin before....they almost don't know it's food is what i've read. So keep with it.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Well I am hoping for the best. I understand about the acorns but my dad said he didn't notice a bumper crop of acorns on this property. I thinking it may be a blessing in disguise since I haven't been able to hunt over it yet. I will finally get to hunt over the plot next week so I will keep you informed.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

two words

THE RUT
Old 11-12-2008, 04:29 AM
Typical Buck

They'll find it. There must be native foods they are eating right now. They know what is good for them. Give them time, after the native food source gets used upo they'll discover it. When they figure out its even better for them than the native food, they'll hit that first. I had brassicas planted a few years ago and they didn't touch them until late in the season.

Quick Reply: Why aren't deer eating food plot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.