Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Question About Deer Feeders

Old 12-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Spike

Default Question About Deer Feeders

I'm using a feeder for the first time this year and havealready shot my buck earlier this season when he came in to feed.Right now I have the feederset to go off at times that I'm likely to be hunting, ie: morning and evening. I've witnessed some deer run off when it feeds and others pay it no attention at all.

I'd like some input on your experiences with a feeder, what times to set it to feed,and if it scaresdeer or not.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question About Deer Feeders

It won't scare the deer off. In fact, a lot of the time it does just the oposite. Think of the feeder as a dinner bell. I have experienced on several occasions the second that the feeder throws (and you hear all that corn hitting the legs of the feeder) that the deer come running to it...it's like the deer wait to hear it throw and are trying to get there before the others do.

I have mine set to throw corn at first light and thirty minutes before the sun goes down. A couple of times, I have deer directly underneath the feeder eating corn and the feeder goes off and it spooks the deer off. Sometimes they come back imediately and then other times the deer don't come back to that feeder for a few days.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: r33h

It won't scare the deer off. In fact, a lot of the time it does just the oposite. Think of the feeder as a dinner bell. I have experienced on several occasions the second that the feeder throws (and you hear all that corn hitting the legs of the feeder) that the deer come running to it...it's like the deer wait to hear it throw and are trying to get there before the others do.

I have mine set to throw corn at first light and thirty minutes before the sun goes down. A couple of times, I have deer directly underneath the feeder eating corn and the feeder goes off and it spooks the deer off. Sometimes they come back imediately and then other times the deer don't come back to that feeder for a few days.
Thanks!

I've heard that before which is the reason that I have set the way that I have. Recently, a doe fawn was nearby when the feeder went off and it didn't even look at it. A few days later, a small buck ran away when it went off.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Spike

*bump*
Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Mine is set about 1/2 hour after sunrise and 1/2 hour before sunset.

Watching it right after it goes off is literally like somebody rang the dinner bell. Within about 5 min of the feeder running, I normally have 5 - 7 deer feeding under it.

I have seen deer feeding by it when it did go off and you would have thought they would have left a sonic boom as fast as they took off. Never the less, within a day or so the same deer were back feeding under it.

I have also found that if I happen to be hunting when the feeder is not set to go off, pouring some corn around the area will normally suffice. Once the deer know the feeder is there, whenever they happen to pass by, they will normally check and see if there is anything under it. A little spilled corn works just as well as triggering the feeder.