Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

My plots are in! First timer

Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default My plots are in! First timer

So I finally bought some property last year - 100 acres in SE Ohio...

I basically had no clearings other than where the house lays, maybe 5 acres total open and one of those I built a pond on.

I got a bulldozer and operator and cleared about 4-5 acres more a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, so after it was cleared I bought an ATV harrow drag and got to work.

I want to know what you thought of my mix:
I had some ladino clover and some red clover (30 pounds of each), I am not sure if it was still good, but I thought I would give it a chance.
I also bought some whitetail institute Imerial Clover (27 pound bag) and Tecomate Chicory (9 pound bag).
I also mixed approximately 25 pounds of lesbedisa (sp?) in.

So basically I had approximately 82% clover; 7% Chicory; and 21% Lesbidisa... Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My plots are in! First timer

Congrats on the property - and jumping into the food plot bussiness!
You'll find it both rewarding and frustrating. Just remember never to put all your eggs into one basket - split up the plot - and try different things, every year will not be a great year even for the best food sources, and variety is the spice of life.

The plot mix sound OK - it'll do what you want for sure.

I'm not familiar at all with Lespedeza. I Guess its also called Japanese clover, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness as a deer food.

Ladino CLover is also a main component of Imperial Whitetail Clover, and in my opinion is the best deer food going.

Keep in mind that Ladino clover ( a white clover variety) can last several years. Red Clovers are a very much different forage. Most farmers treat Red Clover as a Biennial - some as an annual - so figure two years Max for this forage. It will re-seed - and once you have red clover in a plot - you often have it coming back.

Another point about Red Clover - is that most cultivarswill Grow MUCH higher than most white clovers, then they'll go to seed. Personally - when reds are mixed with whites - I mow them 2-3 times a year down to 6" with the last mowing around Labor Day at the latest. This intensive mowing tends to favor the white clover - which I feel is abetter feed anyhow.

With a new plot such as you are doing - it might be wise to plant with a 2 year plan. In other words - figure on replanting the plot(s) after 2 years. The soils will need to be worked over anyhow and you will be much more knowledgable about your soil and its limitations after two years.

Of course get a soil test - and read all you can on the topic.

Good luck -
FH