Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

first timer

Old 12-14-2007, 12:50 AM

Default first timer

A person I know has a friendthats older thatcan no longer care for his pointer that is 1.5 years old. I was told the dog is quartering well, holding point and getting on birds. Alsothatthe dog has alot of desire with a great personality. The dogneeds work on his retrieving because after a bird flushes and is missed the dog will try to run the bird down.

I would really like towelcome this dog in my home but have some concerns.

1. I have never owned a hunting dog or did any training but am willing to learn.
2. The dog is 1.5 years old male thats not fixedand has always been kept outside. Can I or is it to late to potty train him and make him a good house dog?
3. I would be able to see the dog work the field. What things should I look for and questions that I should ask about the dog?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: first timer

1. Join a club affliliated with gundogs. NSTRA will have local chapters and sometimes will hold training sessions. Also there are other clubs normally affiliated with field trials like Amateur Field Trial Club of America, U.S Complete Shooting Dog Association, etc.Make friends and most are willing to share what they know.

2. Buy a good training book. One I would recommend is Delmar Smiths or Paul Long.

You can make the dog a house dog but to potty train them puppy rules applies. Take them out often to relieve themselves - every 6 hours or so and keep the time consistant. A general rule, if I need to use the bathroom, its a good time to let the dog out.

Concerning running after the bird. I would say a good ninety percent of hunting dogs would too. Most people aren't concerned or too lazy to 'break' (broke) or 'steady' their dogs to shot. That is, the dog stands still after the shot and the command is given to release or fetch. Also, pointers are not natural retrievers as a breed. These are what keeps a professional trainer in business.

What to look for? That is all personal preference. Does the dog's range suit you and the way you hunt? How good is its nose?

I would not take a dog out right away. Spend some time to bond with it first. Most dogs will search for its owner when out in the field and thats a quick way of losing the dog.

p.s. I would like to add, its sound like the dog is well on its way to becoming a good hunter.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Default RE: first timer

Thats pretty good advice.

I want to point out that you say that the dog is quartering well... This is for close combat situations. In timber, or thich brush. A pointer usually has a longer working range, this is something to look at. Your dog could be on point on a covey at 200 yards away and might have to hold point for several minutes while you walk there.On the flip side, you dont want a dog that is hunting under your feet... Especially at 1.5, because when hes 5 or 6, you cancut that in half, whenthey calm down andget used to the routine.

Steady from flush, shot, and fall is a deluxe package option. Kinda like leather trim in a new car. You pay extra. Most dogs chase after the shot. You can "whoa" break him though. A good book and or trainer/ club can help you with this.

Sounds like a good dog though, see how long he can hunt... (30 mins, 3 hrs, or all day..) A young dog that hasnt been hunted much will most likely tire himself out in an hour to 2 hours. See if he is birdy, good nose, nice style on point, sloppy points or does he slam on point and lock down, etc...

GOOD LUCK!