Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Timer

Old 02-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default First Timer

Well, last year I had posted up for ideas on an out of state hunt for a couple of buddies and me.

We are going to be going to Custer, SD for a Spring Turkey hunt in the Black Hills.

I am just coming here to ask some does and don'ts.
Also, what are some must haves as far as equipment goes? Will I be good with my break up camo? Pretty much all the new guy questions you can think of..haha.

We haven't set a date in stone yet, but it will most likely be in April. What are some good calls and decoys that you have had success with. I have been reading a ton. But will still consider ourselves lucky if we get 1 between the 3 of us. It is just going to be awesome to be able to get out and hunt in a different state.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: First Timer

Are you using an outfitter? I think your break up will be ok. You need to make sure you take enough cloths. Make sure you have everything in your vest. Plenty of shells, face masks, all the usual turkey hunting items. Take a couple pair of boots. First aid kit as well, even a snake bite kit. Dont forget your camo gloves...
Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 AM

As Arrow said take plenty of cloth i have hunted SD and tell ya what be pepared to hunt snow cause you may have to

MrGobbler
Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

I grew up in Minnesota, and live in Fargo. Snow doesnt bug me a whole lot. Will pack for cold weather though.

We won't be using an outfitter, just tryin to do it ourselves on public land.