Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buying 1 or 2 year old trees?

Old 12-31-2002, 09:21 PM

Default Buying 1 or 2 year old trees?

I recently became a member of QDMA and in a brochure I recieved was an advertisement for 1 or 2 year old trees. The 1 year olds are 12-24" and the 2 year olds are 24-36" tall. They seem very reasonably priced and have many species to choose from. I was thinking of persimmon and maybe a couple more. My main question is, will these trees be grafted and produce fruit in maybe 3 years or will it take 10? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Buying 1 or 2 year old trees?

Welcome to the board. You made a good choice of joining the QDMA. They are a great bunch of guys that will help you with any questions. You may have to contact the nursery providing the seedling you want to get specific answers about seedlings.

Old 01-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying 1 or 2 year old trees?

I'd be betting that they're seedlings (10 years to bearing) but you should check with the sellers. From planting other seedlings I've found that it's better to plant large 1 year old seedlings than 2 year old trees of the same size. The 2 year old trees that have taken the second year are usually genetically stunted. They will be slow growers, and late bearers.

Dan O.