Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Trees

Old 07-10-2005, 06:50 AM

Default Trees

Why is it that when ya find a good spot there is never a good tree anywere nere it?

Do any of ya know any goodweb pages or books that would have some good info on trees. I know alotabout them but the ones that I need to know about (oaks), I know vary little. In my neck of the woods Red Oaks are the most abundent, I know deer like the whites better but I have a hard time telling them apart. I figure if I can find some whites I will find more deer. The bad thing about our Oaks is they dont drop tellearly to midNovember(That is when they droped the last few years), so all the gun guys are filling the woods that time of year.In town they drop in october, whyI dont know. Is it normal for oaks to drop that late, or is it because of the wet cold summers we had for the last few years?

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trees

Trees in the red oak family all have leaves withpointed lobes. Oaks in the white family all have leaves with rounded lobes. A lot of red oaks will hangon to theirdead leaves almost all winter. Whites drop in the fall. Around here, white oaks usually drop their acorns first. Reds hang on to them longer.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:10 PM

Thanks wingbone, I think I have found some whites. Colected some leaves and got a few pics of some other stuff I thought lookes like deer food, it grows by a river I hunt , still looking for a match. Trying to realy get out and do some hard scouting but the heat and the bugs make it hard.

Thanks agin your info helped alot.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Guss, bear in mind that red oaks drop mast annuallywhile white oaks are bi-annual. No sense hunting an oak stand that ain't gonna drop mast till next year, but when they do BE THERE!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Arrow said, the whites are less consistant acorn producers. Around late Aug. I scout for individualwhites or bur oaks that have acorns. I usually try to concentrate on those trees early in the season. Thegrass and vegetation under those trees will sometimes be pounded flat by deer and turkeys when those trees are producing.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:46 PM

Thanks guysIhave found both types of trees now. That is a great thing to know. Do all the whites in an area dropthe same year or will small groups drop sertent year and stager them selfs.

Thsi deer hunting stuf is great,what else gets ya out in the woods 3 mounth befor the season.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around here, the whiteswill start at the same time. It'll take a couple of weeks to have them all drop. About the time the whites are done, the reds will start. The reds will sometimes dribble them for a month or two.