Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Which trees??

Old 03-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which trees??

Not really related to hunting but thought this would be a good place to get the info I am looking for. I bought a house that is kind of in teh country but the neighbors are visible. I am looking to plant some trees on teh property lines. I am looking for a pine or spruce that is a fast growing tree, but looks nice. Any ideas on what I should get? Any tree suggestions would be great. I have access to a BOBCAT with an auger so I could get the trees that are already pretty good size and dig a hole to plant them, but it would cost more for larger trees I imagine. THanks..
Old 03-02-2007, 07:17 AM

Default RE: Which trees??

What is the purpose for the tree's?
Are they just for privacy from the neighbors?
Are you trying to hunt your property and want tree's that will benefit the wildlife ?

I wish I could help but don't know exactly what you are saying
Old 03-02-2007, 07:39 AM

White pine or leyland cypress might be good choices. I don't know the zone hardiness of leyland cypress though. White pines grow faster than spruces. Leylands grow faster than white pines and create a screen. I like the white pine for looks over the leyland. If I were buying them I would get a 4-6' white pine and a 3' leyland. The
leylands would catch up to where the white pines would be in a year or two.

For good prices look for a re-wholesaler nursery. They are nurseries that sell to landscapers in bulk but will often sell to anyone with a minimum order.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking for privacy and looks only. Not enough land to hunt.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

I also agree with white pine. I think they are an attractive tree, they are the fastest growing pine, and once established they are very resiliant. One problem you could run into though is deer love to browse on them when they are young.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Leyland's tend to be very popular in our neck of the woods for exactly what you're talking about, but we're zone 7 and you all are zone 6 (southern/eastern part of state) or zone 5 (northern/western part of state). I can't say I know where you're located in NY, but I do know that Leyland's are good for hardiness zones 6 -10. You may already know if they do alright in your area, if not, ask a local nursery. They are very inexpensive (about $24 for a three footer), and very fast growers. Watch out for bagworms!!!!!! They will kill a group of trees and you will have a goofy looking hole with replacement trees trying their best to catch up.I believea product like "Seven," whichyou can buy at Lowe's will take care ofthem should they appear.

There are also various cultivars of Arborvitae that can be looked into. I feel like I'm getting a little longwinded though, so let me know if you'd like any help - and I'll give it a whirl.

P.S. I can probably scrounge up some bulk growers that I can hook you up with that are affiliated with a grower I use - I just have to go through a filing cabinet if you're interested. The $24/tree price I told you was a number I remembered seeing in a local paper in the classified section, so they're not hard to come by.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks agian for the feedback guys. I will do some research on leylands and see if it is what I am looking for. Sounds like it is though...
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Check with your county forester for information and availability of bare root/bulk seedlings. Its hard to believe that a 3 foot cypresstree couldn't be bought cheaper than $24 each.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check this website out it may help. Look for the trees link.

http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/wildlife/default.asp
Old 03-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Blue Spruce, grows quick and looks great.

Quick Reply: Which trees??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.