Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Going to be buying my 1st bow for next year! >

Going to be buying my 1st bow for next year!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going to be buying my 1st bow for next year!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Going to be buying my 1st bow for next year!

Depending on my christmas bonus, I plan on buying my first bow and start bowhunting next year. I will have a whole year to pratice shooting so that iswhy I am getting a head start. I have never shot a bow before and plan on going to one of the local stores to get fitted and for some instructions.

The question I have for all of you is what brands are good starter bows? I don't want to break the bank with something but also want something that is decent. What can I expect to pay for a complete starter set-up in Wisconsin?

Any other tips would be great!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Going to be buying my 1st bow for next year!

Martins, Bears, and used bows are where I would start. You can get some pretty decent ones already set up for around 300-400. That is just my .02. I got my Martin from Bass Pro in town in the discount section, brand new for 220. So research bows so when you see a good deal....you know it.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Hey GFY_CAMP welcome to archery hunting! I would look into the Diamond lineup if I were you. They have some good cheaper models that are still really nice bows. I agree with the research too so you can learn all the parts of a bow so when the dealer is telling you about the various models you have an idea of what he is talking about.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM

Also....I would go check the Classifieds forum on here every day. It seems like there are some pretty BA deals in there every day.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

buy a bowtech, fred bear, diamond, or a hoyt.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey bud,

When I got into bow hunting I got a Bowtech Tomkat as it is an excellent bow that comes as a packaged deal. You could still probably find a 2007 or 2008 Tomkat new, or if you're looking for the latest and greatest I think there is one called the Sniper that is a 2009 packaged deal from bowtech. Like others have said, Diamond is an excellent place to look for a good starter bow as well.

Another tip that you may have received already as well is to go to a local archery dealer. If possible, avoid the big dealers like Dicks, Bass Pro and other stores like that. You'll likely get a much better set up and more professional advice from a local dealer.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing you can do is go to a Pro shop and have them fit you up with a bow that is set up for your draw length. And have them help you with the tuning and sighting in.

You might be able to get something cheaper from the classifides or a used one online. But you being new to the sport need to have a pro fit you with a good starter bow. After you know what you need and want to upgrade, then look into buying one your size online or from the classifides here.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

If ur a newbie then try the Bear Archery bows. The instinct, element, or truth would do nicley
Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

check out diamond
Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 PM

Goto a small bow shop, not your cabela's (you have one right down the road from you I believe) or something of that nature.

Go to the website of the major manufacturers and find out where there are shops around you. You will probably find that alot of the shops in your area carry alot of different brands.

Give them a price range that you are looking at, that price should include the fact you need a full set up, including release, quiver, arrows, case? sight, rest, stablizer (assuming you are starting from scratch)

Don't be afraid to look into something used. Good way to get into something out of your current price range if you had to buy it new. All the bow shops I visited this spring had a wide selection of used bows on hand, not saying all of them would have been right for me, but it is an option.

If you go into a shop and they don't have the time of the day for you, try somewhere else, most places the guys working there are decent, but you want to find a shop that will help you out, and will take the time to get you set up properly and help you out, not all places will do that, if you don't have that personal touch/service, starting out will not be as enjoyable as it should be.....

If you do find a place that will work with you, shoot a bunch of different bows, find out what feels good to you, every bow has a different feel, I shot 17 different ones before settling on the one I bought this year.

Have fun, and good luck with your search.

Quick Reply: Going to be buying my 1st bow for next year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.