Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover Progress

Old 04-23-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Clover Progress

I planted ladino and durana in early March and it appears to have withstood the freakish cold snap two weeks ago. Here's my question:
If I used wheat and oats (different in each field) as a cover crop, do I have to worry about the clover getting crowded out? When should my clover really start to pop? At some point do I put a herbicide on to kill off competition from grasses and/or weeds to get the clover to dominate? Whenam I safe to start bushhogging? If so, when?
Soil is minimum 6.5ph
Soil moisture good
Weather's finally warmed
Old 04-23-2007, 08:13 AM

Default RE: Clover Progress

if you mow it it should keep the grasses out
Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've planted white ladino clover for about 5 years now...If I plant in the fall I also plant a mix of wheat and rye, it does not shade out the clover...It heads out in the spring, after it turns brown I let the deer and turkeys get their share and cut it about 6 inches high...

If I plant in the spring I don't plant anything else....I just keep it cut throughout the summer...It will be big enough to eat in the fall...If you want to treat the grass with Post or Arrest you can, but its expensive and the grasses won't choke out the clover the best control for grass is to keep it cut so it does not seed out...Now other broad leaf plants will try to come in and choke out the clover, but to kill them, with 2-4-D, you will also kill the clover...Just keep it cut every 5-6 weeks, about 6 inches high and it will be fine...The best time to cut clover is when it is ready to seed, then when you cut it, it seeds itself...
Old 04-27-2007, 07:32 PM

Wudayanuts, there are selective herbicides to help control grasses and weeds in clover plots. I would be patient with these clovers and not put anything else with it. A pure stand of Durana clover is an awesome thing. Mine was planted last spring and it is a lush beautiful plot right now. I had to mow it 3 times last summer and fall. Mow when it is dry and about 8 to 10 inches tall to promote new growth and keep the weeds and grasses to a minimum. Just be sure to not cut it too short.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Once the undesireable vegitation grows higher than the clover, use a boom sprayer on your atv or tractor. Use roundup and set boom level just above the vegitation you want to kill and spray. Also to make the round up more effective mix in 1 bottle of dish detergent to 5 gallons of water/roundup mixture. It will kill the invasive vegitation but not the clover because it will not reach the clover and due to the dish detergent ti will clingto the leaves of the vegitation.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agree with Antler on mowing,

The first year our Durana plot didn't look so hot, but the last two years it has gotten better and better (almost no weeds). It is lush and about a foot deep. As spring browse is dropping off the deer are starting to tear it up.