Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Persimmions

Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Spike

Default Persimmions

I am thinking of planting some persimmion trees around the edge of a pasture , is there any where i can get them for free, or where can i find them.
P.S. thanks for the info on the mineras,
IL, Cornfed
Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Persimmions

If they grow in your area take a walk along some nature trails and back roads. You should be able to find some seed or seedlings.

Dan O.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

If you can find them in yopur area thats best as they get harder to grow the further north,lots of good info on qdma.com forum
Old 05-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Persimmons are pretty good deer food. We have them all over the place.One of these trees is in aravine is 8 inches in diameter and has persimmons as big as apples. The deer eat them after they have been on the ground for a good while.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:17 AM

will they grow in central wisconsin?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Mundt

will they grow in central wisconsin?
There are one or two varieties that can grow that far north, but it's still going to be a crap shoot on fruit production because of your weather. I'm in zone 6, and they grow everywhere here, but if we have a warm Fall like we have the past few years the fruit is worthless due to the tannin content. Persimmons are at their best in a temperate climate with a frost or two while ripening.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

kevin1; it's probably just your varieties. I have one type called "early golden" which ripens at the end of September before we get frosts. It's the sweetest persimmon that I've eaten outside of overripe oriental types. The late seasons that we've been getting are allowing my other seedling trees to mature.

Dan O.